VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 21 of 37 (3,623 Views)

Re: Restore computer to factory settings

Hi drenfromdaygo,

Welcome to Sony Community!

The PCG-7184L doesn't recognized by our system, please check the exact model name of you computer.

It looks like this laptop doesn't have an ASSIST button, if there is no modification performed on this computer we can try to restore the computer using the partition on the hard drive, please click here. You may also purchase a copy of the Recovery Disc for your laptop, here is the link.

Regards,

Jen

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 22 of 37 (3,419 Views)

i want to restore my Windows 7 on my Sony Vaio model VPCEA16FA

i don't have rescue disks so i guess i would have to try the ASSIST button or press f10 key if that does not work.

i have moved all my important data from drive C:/ to drive G:/ ... (windows are installed on drive C:/ and all my other work is on drive G:/) ... my question is, if i proceed with the Windows Restore through the ASSIST button, will my data get formatted on drive G:/ also along with data on drive C:/ ... or i need to make backup of it before i continue ??

please help !!

Message 23 of 37 (3,376 Views)

Hi anassalam

You can reinstall the operating system of the laptop to its original factory settings as long as the recovery partition is still accessible. You may hit Assist button while the unit is off or via F10 key. 

We highly suggest to backup your important files on an external hard drive / USB flash drive. Your Vaio VPCEA16FA is a non-U.S. model and we have limited information about the specs and certain process. 

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 24 of 37 (1,895 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a Vaio VGNFS742/W laptop and when I attempt to perform a factory reset using the F10 recovery method, the process starts (black screen white lettering at bottom of screen); the next screen (the process goes directly to this screen) displays (blue screen with white cursor) and flickers once; then displays a white screen with black lettering showing "Restore C: Drive (Step 1 of 4) Use to restore the C: drive to it's original factory condition..... I checkmark "yes" to understand the warning of everything being deleted and hit next (only options at bottom of the screen that aren't grayed out are CANCEL and NEXT); a boxed error screen pops up displaying "ERROR 400 occurred when restoring the system.Cannot continue. Click OK to restart from Recovery Disc 1 and select "Restore Complete System"". What does this mean or what does it want me to do? Do I need some kind of Recovery Discs? I haven't seen this situation expressed in any search I've done in various forums, posts, tutorials and youtube videos I've extensively read and viewed about Factory Resetting. My laptop's Factory Operating System has Win XP Home; was upgraded to Win 7 when I aquired it 3 months ago. It now has a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro which I performed; when I did this install I left the OEM partition of the hard drive untouched, as the install opted to do so, and I thought it best to leave it on. I know the partition is still on the hard drive because I can see it when I ran a disk management command displaying the partitions of the hard drive (a msgm something or other command) in the Start Run Command Box. So, how can I perform the Factory Reset? What does this "ERROR 400" exactly mean? The restore process does not give me any options to create or run or anything as I have read that some options are to be displayed after tapping the F10 key to initialize the Restore process. Any ideas why is this? If i need Recovery Discs, any ideas on how can I aquire some? Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 25 of 37 (1,843 Views)

Hi LouieVGNFS742,

I have replied to your other post, kindly go to this link to check it.

http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Software-Other-Operating/Restore-Factory-settings-for-Vaio-VGN-FS7...

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.
Rookie
Message 26 of 37 (1,601 Views)

I get to the windows login screen but I don't know the password. How can I get past this and reset the computer?  Model SVE14A27CXH

Message 27 of 37 (1,571 Views)

Hi Atabrdhntr,

Thank you for this message, you may refer to the link below to reformat the unit back to factory setting. Please take note that this will delete everything and will only reinstall the original settings of the laptop. 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36806/c/65,66/kw/How%20to%20recover%20the%20comput...

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.
Rookie
Message 28 of 37 (1,504 Views)

Hello. How can I restore my Vaio computer (Model PCG-7185M) to its factory settings. I don't want to do a system restore to a point in time. I want to restore it to the factory settings.  To reinstall windows using the advanced recovery it states I require a "windows installation disc", yet the computer didn't come with one.  My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium  Thanks and best regards

Message 29 of 37 (1,444 Views)

Hi Eddasoot,

Here's the link on how to reformat your computer back to factory, setting, https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35585/kw/factory%20reset%20using%20f10/c/66

Here is the link if you want to create your own recovery disc afterward,

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31695/kw/how%20to%20create%20a%20recovery%20disc/p...

We kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.
Rookie
Message 30 of 37 (1,433 Views)

I want to factory reset my computer, too. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook