Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
thaimexx
Accepted Solution

Screen Brightness Keeps Dimming

My new Sony SVS131290X laptop will not keep it's screen brightness lit.  It keeps dimming by itself.  I have tried setting the function + F6 key, going to power options and adjusting the brightness there, and also tried advanced power options.  It dims after 30 seconds.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TonyM

Re: Screen Brightness Keeps Dimming

Hello Tina,

Thanks for the post.

When ambient light is detected, Automatic Brightness Settings feature will automatically adjust LCD brightness level. If desired, the feature can be turned off to keep brightness at a constant level regardless of ambient light.

Follow this procedure to turn off the Automatic Brightness Settings feature:

1. Press Windows + W to open charms.
  2. In Search screen, click Settings category.
  3. In the Search field, type VAIO Control Center, and press Enter key.
  4. In VAIO Control Center, on left side of screen, click Image Quality.
  5. Under Display Brightness, click button to change the setting from On to Off.
  6. To re-enable Automatic Brightness Settings feature, click to change button setting back to On.
  7. In the VAIO Control Center window, click the X in the upper-right corner to close window.

Please mark the solution as Accepted, if you find this information useful.

Regards,

Tony.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
haik0

Hello
I have exactly the same problem but in my VAIO Control Center I do not see any "Image Quality" menue! Can you pleas tell me what should I install to get that option in my VAIO Control Center ?
Thanks

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Different versions of VAIO Control Center may have "Display" instead of the "Image quality" section.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jpaschal72

I just had this problem start (7-Jul-2013) and have had my Vaio for about 7 months.  Your suggested fix worked (Thanks!), but do you think this could be an indication that the light sensor is not functioning properly, or that there was some other issue with recent Vaio software updates?  

Seems odd that it would start now, but at least I can see my screen again - Thanks

Please use plain text.
RyanC

[ Edited ]

jpaschal72 wrote:

but do you think this could be an indication that the light sensor is not functioning properly,

If the sensor is working properly, the LCD should dim when it is dark in the room and get brighter if you are in high light or outside.  Sometimes these effects are not desired and that is why you can disable the automatic sensor in Vaio Control Center.  For some users, the auto-dim feature may not produce the desired brightness effects and we just suggest turning it on and using FN+F5/F6 keys to manually adjust the brightness.

Other times, if it is very dark in the room, the light emitted from the LCD screen can shine on the brightness sensor and also trigger brightness change.  

All of these are not necessarily a "failure" per se.  If the sensor was actually failing, you would likely see brightness changes at inappropriate times during constant unchanged light conditions in the room (keeping in mind that it could be the LCD light shining as in the example above), or the brightness would not change automatically at all.  

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jpaschal72

Thanks for the reply.

This laptop is being used in my home office with the same lighting as has been for the 7 months I've owned it.  The dimming just started yesterday.  Previously it would dim if left unattended for a period of time, but then brighten when I started using it.  

Now it is dimming very quickly even during continuous use.  Once I increase the brightness manually and in the power settings, it will stay bright for about 30 seconds and then dim again.  (always dims, never brightens on it's own).  

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
RyanC

To help eliminate the LCD as a possible cause of the erratic brightness sensing, angle the LCD a little more upwards so that the screen faces more away from the brightness sensor.  If the behavior continues even with a wide LCD angle then it sounds like a deteriorating sensor and service should fix that.  (The brightness sensor is located on the keyboard hood just under the LCD near the speed/stamina switch)

If the behavior stops, then the LCD light may be shining on the brightness sensor.  When colors and brightnesses change rapidly on the screen the sensor could think the room ambient brightness is changing.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jpaschal72

Thanks, I'll give that a try, and otherwise get it repaired.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ratandeepdhody

Thank you so much! :smileyhappy:
Was irritated with the automatic settings and couldn't figure out how to turn it off.
This helped me to get it done in less than a minute.
Please use plain text.