Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 8 (327 Views)

Sony VAIO VGN-NR498E Will Not Boot from CD

Hello. I'm having trouble booting my Sony laptop from my CD. I already searched online for answers but they haven't helped. I'm attempting to run a Windows Vista installation disk on my laptop and I need it to boot from that disk. I am not sure how to get that to work though. In my Boot menu, I'm searching for which item to set as first in boot priority. I have no listed CD/ROM option, but I do have internal optical drive. Is that the option I need to use? If so, I already tried that but my laptop will boot to a screen that says "Operating System not found". What can I do?
I read on another forum that you could use the ASSIST button on a VAIO laptop to set up legacy boot and then the disk would work, but my laptop model doesn't have the ASSIST button. Is there a way to get into legacy boot settings via another way? Thanks.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 8 (316 Views)

Re: Sony VAIO VGN-NR498E Will Not Boot from CD

hey there!

you have to use optical drive

and maybe your CD installation is damage

Rookie
Message 3 of 8 (302 Views)

Hi!

Thanks for coming to help. The boot priority order is set on internal optical drive and so far that doesn't work. As for the disc, it should be fine, I'm thinking that it has to do with my laptop's lack of legacy boot (assuming there's no way to access that). The default boot for SONY laptops seems to be UEFI, according to a forum I read. The way others managed to get their discs to work is by changing the boot from UEFI to legacy. They used an ASSIST button, but I have none. Any ideas on what I could do?

Rookie
Message 4 of 8 (289 Views)

You restart and go to Biot to reset your boot CD mode!

Message 5 of 8 (284 Views)

Hi, Paquito490

Welcome to Sony Community! 

May we know why you want to run Vista installation on your machine? VGN-NR498E came with Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium. Are you trying to perform a clean install of Vista? Were you able to boot the unit to normal? 

If the laptop can boot to normal boot, test the CD drive there. You may also use a different bootable disc to test and isolate the issue. 

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 6 of 8 (236 Views)

Hello Vincent,

The reason for me trying to reinstall Windows Vista is because my machine displayed an error saying it couldn't find an operating system. No, I cannot normally boot, and I don't possess any other boot disc. I will say, however, that the disc I am trying to boot from is not manufactured by the company, rather I ordered it online from a third-party seller and I received a blank disc. Perhaps that's the problem, but yet again, some people managed to boot from blank discs using legacy boot, which I cannot access. That's why I came here for help.

Thanks!

Rookie
Message 7 of 8 (235 Views)

@hanhtoc3211 I don't think that's an option in my boot menu, but thanks!
Message 8 of 8 (198 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Paquito490,  

Welcome to Sony Community!

You've mentioned that you were at BIOS boot menu but you didn't see the option to change the boot setting to "Legacy". You chose the "Internal Optical Drive" instead. (that's the right option). Not all BIOS has that option, it depends on the operating system (OS). 

You said, << I already tried that but my laptop will boot to a screen that says "Operating System not found">>. This is because you've got a blank disc. Have you tried to reformat your laptop to its default setting via the hidden partition? 

You may visit this link below to reformat the laptop using the hidden partition.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32099/kw/factory%20reset%20using%20f10/related/1

Your laptop can be upgraded to Windows 7 operating system (just to let you know). Just in case you have an installer, below is the link for further details. 

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNNR498E&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/d...

win7 upgrade.jpg

I hope this helps.

Regards, 

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook