Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Groovin'
gordadzevad
Accepted Solution

Sony Vaio with Windows 8 adjusts brightness

Hello,

Have an issue with Brightness on my Vaio S Series with Windows 8 which adjusts it automatically. This makes work at PC very uncomfortable as brightness is changing several times in minute.

I have disabled Dim in power options model. Disabled weather indication in VIAO control center. I was not able to find anything like Advanced Brightness Adjustment in power settings and the screen is still changing Brightness.

Can anyone gide me to how I can remove that function?

Thanks for answers

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TonyM

Re: Sony Vaio with Windows 8 adjusts brightness

Hi gordadzevad,

Let us know the model # of the computer.

You can check for VAIO Control Center update under Hotkey Utilities on our eSupport page.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

Follow the steps listed on the below page to disable Automatic Brightness Feature.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1033118

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
gordadzevad

[ Edited ]

Hello TonyM,

Thank you for your reply. this option is already present in my Vaio Control Center and I had desabled it but the brightness was still changing automatically. I have disabled it in Video card settin as well but still no success.

You think that if the option is already present in my Vaio Control center update will change anything? Will try to update it anyway today.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for help

P.S. Model is SVS13122CXW

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
gordadzevad

Hello,

today I payed attention to the fact that it automatically changes brightness only hile working from Batery. When i amd working with pluged in adapter, brightness is not changing automatically. I have rechecked Power plans but everything seems to be configured properly there. 

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Chazzy

Same problem. For whatever reason, no changes in the power settings to turning off dimming nor the timing of dimming seem to stick, so eventually the screen reverts to dimming on its own no matter what settings I use.

However,  I think I figured out a hack.... Since no one seems to be able to figure out how to stop the dimming itself, the solution seems to be in adjusting the brightness of the dimming to 100% (or whatever screen brightness you want) so that when it eventually does dim, it essentially stays on the brightness level you want.

Try this - seems stable so far....

Search for Power options. Open the control panel that comes up, click on "Change plan settings" for whatever power plan is active, then select (At the bottom of the new screen) "Change advanced power settings". In the new window, scroll down to "Display", expand to show "dimmed display brightness". Set it for whatever brightness you want to maintain. Press apply and OK. You should also try to set the settings to control "DIm Display After" to some very long timeframe (like 5000 minutes...), but when it does eventually DIm anyway, perhaps this will set the dim to not really be a dim at all. Like of this worked for you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Hannah909

I'm having the same issue.  I tried this fix, but it just keeps reverting back to 5% brightness.  After I change the settings, it dims after a few seconds.  If I unplug it at that point, it will go bright for a few seconds (because the battery settings are set to brighter as well), and then it will dim again.  Then when I go back to the settings and the advanced options, I see that even the advanced options have changed back to 5% brightness.   Would appreciate if anyone has any other ideas.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
user2020

I have the same problem after upgrading to windows 8 pro on my SVZ131190X. Touchpad also has somewhat random issues of not smooth pointing/clicking... Hating my decision to upgrade from windows 7!! Looking for a solution to this..

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
nesamone

I have removed the VAIO Control Panel and I can't reinstall it. Is there some other way to turn the auto brightness feature off?

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Maneken

I have the same problem. The control center

("power Options" etc.) cannot control diming of the display.

It works rather chaotically, the luminosity diminishes after 3 or 4 seconds

or 1 minute according to unknown, for me, rules.

My Vaio is SVS13A2X9ES, Windows 8 obviously.

I tried the solutions suggested here but didn't work for me.

Thanks for any hint on how to solve this.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
whatever61

I had this problem only when being on battery mode. I managed to disable it, I think. Had to do in two places: 1. in VAIO CARE 2. in Display drivers => Power => On power => Display power saving technology => OFF No idea why to make such a ridiculous feature that will change brigthness by itself every couple of seconds. Don't they check before they release something, seriously..
Please use plain text.