Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
n01zii

Sony Vaio wont boot from CD

The laptop in question is a Sony VAIO PCG-7141L

Every time I try to boot from my Linux live CD, it boots into windows instead. The boot order in BIOS is already changed to boot from Optical Drive first, and my CD is in the optical drive.

I start up the computer, it sits at a black screen with a single gray underscore for a few seconds, and then starts windows right up. How do I boot off of my live CD instead? No matter what I've tried, it doesn't work!

I don't believe that its a problem with the CD drive, and the laptop passed the hardware check in the recovery menu thing, so what do I do?

I REALLY need to get this laptop to boot off of a Live CD!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
trung

Re: Sony Vaio wont boot from CD

n01zii,

Try booting that same Live CD on another unit that's working to see if it will boot.  Other than setting the boot order in the BIOS there's nothing else you need to do to make it boot from the optical drive.  If it still does not boot then it's likely that you have a bad optical drive...

Please use plain text.