Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Garage Band
hkecho
Accepted Solution

Viao Update on Windows 8

Model # SVS131190X

My computer was purchased in August with Windows 7 installed.  After upgrading to Windows 8, Vaio Update does not work anymore.  It says "Vaio Update cannot start because Vaio Care is running".  I installed the latest vaio care and vaio update from Sony support website, but that didn't solve the problem.  I contacted tech support and they couldn't resolve my problem.  They said I would have to check back to the website once in awhile for further software update. 

I'm disaapointed how Sony is managing the Windows 8 migration for their existing customers.   If the Vaio software is not ready for Windows 8 for the S series laptop, then they should advise their customers *not* to upgrade to Windows 8! 

If anyone has any solution to this problem, please help.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
shieber

Re: Viao Update on Windows 8

[ Edited ]

I spent a lot of time on this prob, including a lot of time with Sony tech support. There's a bug u can't get around. So, you need to uninstall vaio care or you want to get vaio update to work.

The only thing I really used Vaio Care for was to run Vaio update-- so now that they are incompatible underafter upgrading to win8, I'm okay with not having Vaio Care installed.  Vaio care is much less useful imo but it's up to you which you want to have working.

alas, sony wasn't really quite ready for w8. It's concevable that if you went back to iriginal image and redid the upgrade to win 8 and installed the drivers in a different order, then you might get everything to work--maybe. But that's a lot of work for what Vaio care really offers beyond Vaio update (which you can get using Vaio Update sepeartely) and sys info that you can get other ways.  

Toshiba had small programs that loaded all the win8 upgrade drivers for you in the desired order but sony, palns to charge for such an installer.  pffffft to that, afaic, but to each his own.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
hkecho

[ Edited ]

So does that mean I can just keep Vaio Update without Vaio Care installed on my laptop?  Can Vaio Update run by itself?

Please use plain text.
PeterT

did you run the VAIO Upgrade Tool - Lite version?  The tool below is free however it does not include 3rd party software due to license issue:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?upd_id=8153&mdl=SVS131190X

It appears that you issue is because you didn't run the VAIO Care and VAIO Update uninstaller

The uninstaller can be download and ran here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVS131190X&upd_id=7938&os_group_id=24

install VAIO Care and VAIO Update after you run the uninstaller:

VAIO Care 8.1

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVS131190X&upd_id=8126&os_group_id=24

VAIO Update 6.1

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVS131190X&upd_id=8156&os_group_id=24

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Vividhsv

Hi,

I tried the above soultion, I still get the same issue....

VAIO Update error

Please use plain text.
PeterT

Can you launch the VAIO Update application if you uninstall VAIO Care ? Also you need to download the VAIO Location utility as well

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Vividhsv

Yes, I have tried that as well....I cannot lauch VAIO Update... It says it needs VAIO care to run!

Can you please provide the download link for VAIO Location utility...I could not find it...

Regards,

Vividh S V

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
hkecho

Hi Peter,

Yes I was able to run Vaio Update after I uninstalled Viao Care.  What can I do now? 

I guess I can live with Vaio Update for the time being.

Please use plain text.
PeterT

hkecho,

Which version of VAIO Care did you try to install?  VAIO Care version 8.0 is the correct version that you should install 1st then you can install VAIO Care 8.1.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Garage Band
hkecho

Are you serious?!!??!!?  Where is this documented at? 

Could you let us know the link for 8.0?   Thanks.

Please use plain text.