Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Emerging Star
ianchondo

cannot adjust display brightness

I cannot adjust the display brightness on my VAIO laptop. I have changed the settings in Vaio Control and downloaded the Notebook driver, but I still cannot adjust the brightness manually.

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Re: cannot adjust display brightness

Please provide your VAIO Model number and more details.  Did you change the operating system through an upgrade or downgrade?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ianchondo

Thank you.

The VAIO Model No. is VPCF2390X. Today I was having problems with my display (it was turning black, to go to sleep, when I was typing, I had to keep moving the mouse to be able to keep typing) and I called McAfee because I have service contract with them and I though it was a virus. The McAfee guy took care of the display going black issue, but right after that I started being unable to adjust the display/monitor brightness manually, (clicking F6 and Function key). I called McAfee back twice, but they couldn't help me and recommend me to call SONY. I called you and was told to contact this community (because my one year for service is up I cannot pay to extend the service plan yet). I noticed the McAfee guy disabled some drivers and uninstalled the NVIDIA GE Force.

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Disabling drivers and uninstalling the Nvidia driver is definitely NOT the solution.

You did not mention that you upgraded or changed the Operating System so I will assume you're still running Windows 7. 

If the McAfee agent removed the video driver, please go here to reinstall the original factory version.

After you install the original video driver, you can then update the driver.

(The update i linked does in fact address some issues where the brightness FN keys do not work properly)

If you reinstall those two things and the screen still goes blank during active use, please let me know.

If installing and updating the graphics driver did not fix the brightness issue and your F+ F5 and F6 still don't work, then you should make sure the hotkey utility is installed and running. 

Please use plain text.