Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
ur2punk
Accepted Solution

dvd movie player

Hello!

Does Sony include a DVD movie playback software in their VAIO laptops? The model number is SV1131290X but it doesn't come up in the lineup. Before I download something like VLC, I wanted to confirm whether Sony includes a DVD movie playback player or not in the VAIO laptops with Win 8 OS.

Thank you.

Rob

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Re: dvd movie player

ur2punk,

Please verify the model number you posted.  SV1131290X is not valid (there should be a series letter where the first '1' is to denote what model class this is).  It should be an 'S', 'T', 'D' or 'Z'.  When you get the model properly identified it should come up in your search.

Without knowing your exact model yet I cannot give you an exact answer.  But generally speaking, most VAIOs come with PowerDVD or WinDVD software if they have an optical drive built in.  VAIOs without an optical drive will not come with said software and you would need to supply your own if you use an external CD/DVD/BD drive.

Alternatively, Windows 8 does not natively come with DVD player support unless you purchase the Windows Media Center upgrade pack.  This would add the DVD codecs to Windows Media player as well as add the Media Center interface.

Please use plain text.
JoelP

ur2punk:

All Windows 8 preinstalled VAIO PCs which contain a DVD or BD drive will also include PowerDVD for playback of DVD movies.  Some laptops do not include an optical drive.

The model number you posted has some incorrect characters in it, but I believe what you have may be the SVT131290X Ultrabook.  If this is the correct model number, your PC does not contain an optical drive, and will not include a DVD playback app.  Ultrabooks do not commonly have a built-in optical drives.

Joel

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ur2punk

Hi Joel,

Thank you - yes, it is the "T" model ultrabook without the drive; I use an USB drive. So I guess I'll download VLC :-) Thank you for your input. Also Ryan, thank you for a similar heads-up.

Rob

Please use plain text.