Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
Vaio_User
Accepted Solution

how do I change my Windows password on a Sony Vaio if I have forgotten the current password?

I can only access my Vaio using the finger print scna. How do I reset the password if I have forgotten it?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TonyM

Re: how do I change my Windows password on a Sony Vaio if I have forgotten the current password?

[ Edited ]

Hello Hugh,

You may try these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Login to Windows.
  2. Enable build-in Administrator account.
  3. Click Start, and type cmd in the Start Search box.
  4. In search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  5. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  6. At command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press ENTER.
  7. Then, try changing User Password at Command Prompt.
  8. To change a user's password at command prompt, log on as an administrator and type:net user user_name * /domain
  9. When you are prompted to type a password for the user, type the new password, not the existing password.
  10. After you type the new password, the system prompts you to retype the password to confirm. The password is now changed.
  11. Alternatively, you can type the following command:
  12. net user user_name  new_password

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
JeromeJones

Re: how do I change my Windows password on a Sony Vaio if I have forgotten the current password?

[ Edited ]

To change or reset the Windows login password on sony computer?

1. Reset Windows 7 Password with Fingerprint Logon on Sony

This method now can only be used for Windows 7, which is relied on fingerprint biometric device through Windows Biometric Framework. It makes easy for administrators and users to configure and control on a local or domain computer which will prevent from password lost. So as long as you have made a fingerprint for the Windows 7 Sony Vaio, you will never worry about the lost Windows 7 password issue any more.

2. Retrieve assword with Password Hint on Sony

It is well-known the password hint function for Windows Vista users. When creating a password to log on to Windows, you can create a hint which can do a great favor if you forgot the Windows Vista password. The password hint will not appear until you input a wrong Vista password. Seeing this password hint may jog your memory or indicate a place for you to look to find the password, so make sure you look into the password hint before giving up on getting back the original password.

3. Reset Password on Sony Vaio by Default Administrator account

We can use default administrator account for Sony Vaio Windows password recovery. There is a built-in Administrator user account in Windows XP that is auto generated when we install the PC and with password blank. If we didn't change this Administrator's password, then boot system from Safe mode and login in with the accounts to reset lost Sony Windows password.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
princewing

Using the professional third-party software is a good choice, it can reset the password in a quick way, and no worry for losing any data, and also quite easy to use, you can try the Windows Password Reset in http://pwdspy.com

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Katy90

Two solutions for your problem:
Solution 1: Change your password from propmt;
Note: In this way, you must enable your built-in administrator account. Or else, it will not work.
Solution 2: Use Windows Password Key to reset your forgotten password.
Windows password key is an easy-to-use tool to reset Windows 8/7/XP/Vista password. It can reset your password within four minutes. More information please turn to http://www.lostwindowspassword.com

Please use plain text.