Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

New Contributor
USER-935121

Re: self heal problem

I have a VGN-FW560F with the same problem with Self Heal. I contacted support, they had me download an update to Vaio Care and I still have the problem. Self heal tells me that there is a Patch that will solve my crashing problem. As soon as I try to download that patch, it crashes the latest version of Vaio Care.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-935121

USER-962493 wrote:
> I just got off from Vaio Care on-line support and they ran some tests and
> said my laptop is infected with malware and needs major cleaning, etc. I
> think I actually was with Omni Tech Support (used by Sony) and they wanted
> to sell me a package over $100 a year to clean up my computer. Very high
> pressure. Like a used car salesman. I don't know if there is any effort
> by Sony to fix this problem within Vaio Care. If anyone knows anything new
> then would love to hear from you.

I would suggest two free programs to try first. 1. Spybot Search and destroy and 2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Google for their address.
Please use plain text.
USER-939456

Mine a new Z model (1 month old). The patches that need to be downloaded according to "Self Heal" do not get downloaded due to the dreaded "Vaio Care not working" message.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-953284

I am having the same problem, and it is only recently that it started, I believe after an update to the Vaio Care software was automatically d/loaded and installed. The simple answer for this problem is that Self Heal program is broken. There is nothing we can do until the Sony programmers fix the problem and push a fixed update. As for a tech or salesman saying that the problem is caused by either a virus or malware...Don't believe them unless they can offer a FREE way to confirm and fix. I am not sure about everyone else, but my computer doesn't crash, so the message saying that this Self Heal update will help fix the computer's recent crashes doesn't make much sense. What I have been doing is using Vaio Care to clean and update my computer, and just not clicking the self heal. Everyone should run a quality anti-virus/anti-malware program (I use MS Security Essentials- which is Free) and do weekly tuneups and backups, and keep your firewall on. Let Sony fix their problem and eventually our Vaio Care will work completely once they sort it out.
Please use plain text.
Robert_Allingto

A PARTIAL SOLUTION; I have had a very similar problem to that reported in the forum regarding self heal messages. I appear to have been able to resolve the majority of issues—all but one. Here's the solution. In Vaio Care, click Vaio Status, click through the messages to one which says: “See All File Downloads Available for Your Model.” Click “More Information.” This will take you to the Download Page. There go to “Sony Applications various files.” Click the plus sign to open it up, and you should find several available updates, each of which should install without any problems except VAIO Care Troubleshooter Ver. 2.0 Update 11/23/2010, a very recent introduction. Avoid this one. Then run the VAIO “System Care” Program again. You should then find you have only one self heal problem, not three or four.
Asking the program to fix it won't help. If your experience with this one is the same as mine, you will probably receive a message from it saying Self Heal has stopped working and windows cannot find the file …... glfrf18\vctsvr~1.exe. The reason for this appears not to be with Sony but with Norton Utilities which simultaneously reports that it has blocked an unsafe file. Ask the Norton program for more information and it will report that the blocked file is …....\glf1818\vctsvrinstaller.exe and the reason given is that very few users in the Norton Community have used this file, and by its nature it represents a very high risk of viral infection. It trust that Sony and Norton will soon get their acts together and resolve this issue.
A longtime Sony Fan,
Robert Allington.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-911701

This may solve the problem or this may not (it worked on mine though!).

Just like everyone else here, I've had this same problem also. I contacted the Tech Support and even had this guy remotely control my computer in the hope that he could fix it. To make the story short (I will skip the long details and steps that he did because...). HE'S NO HELP!!!

What I did noticed though is the latest update of VAIO Care, which is I think 6.3 for some reason is showing the wrong model of my notebook. So I uninstalled the VAIO Care first then the VAIO Update and restarted my notebook. Then I downloaded the earlier version, which is 5.1 from the Sony eSupport website of my notebook, install it and run it...AND THERE IT IS...it just worked!!!

I just hope that this will work with you guys! Though I'm planning on installing the latest version as well and test it and see if it will still give me that same problem...but not until I do a full system and data backup! :smileyhappy:

Good luck to all of you!
Please use plain text.
PeterT

USER-962493,

Does this issue occur at work or at home? The reason why I'm asking is because we've seen this rare instance when the VAIO PC is within a work environment. The firewall at some work environment might be blocking VAIO Care from obtaining the correct XML files. To verify this if you go home and perform the self again then there is no issues.

If the issue persist even when you're at home then we have a different issue that we need to investigate.

USER-962493 wrote:
> USER-907471 wrote:
> > I have exactly the same problem on a new VPCEB35FX laptop.
>
> If your laptop is within warranty then Sony support should be able to solve your
> problem. Let us all know if they have.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-911701

Robert Allington or whoever else is having the same problem installing the VAIO Care Troubleshooter Update Version 2.0...

You should DISABLE your Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect feature or whatever antivirus program you have before installing it. Though I didn't use the VAIO Care feature when I install it because I did a manual install (meaning: downloaded the file from my notebooks eSupport website and following the installation instructions)...but try running it from VAIO Care and see if it works. If it doesn't work from there then try doing a manual install like I did. But remember your antivirus auto-protect feature should be DISABLED because Norton will keep blocking it!

Robert Allington wrote:
> A PARTIAL SOLUTION; I have had a very similar problem to that reported in
> the forum regarding self heal messages. I appear to have been able to
> resolve the majority of issues—all but one. Here's the solution. In Vaio
> Care, click Vaio Status, click through the messages to one which says: “See
> All File Downloads Available for Your Model.” Click “More Information.”
> This will take you to the Download Page. There go to “Sony Applications
> various files.” Click the plus sign to open it up, and you should find
> several available updates, each of which should install without any
> problems except VAIO Care Troubleshooter Ver. 2.0 Update 11/23/2010, a very
> recent introduction. Avoid this one. Then run the VAIO “System Care”
> Program again. You should then find you have only one self heal problem,
> not three or four.
> Asking the program to fix it won't help. If your experience with this one
> is the same as mine, you will probably receive a message from it saying
> Self Heal has stopped working and windows cannot find the file …...
> glfrf18\vctsvr~1.exe. The reason for this appears not to be with Sony but
> with Norton Utilities which simultaneously reports that it has blocked an
> unsafe file. Ask the Norton program for more information and it will report
> that the blocked file is …....\glf1818\vctsvrinstaller.exe and the reason
> given is that very few users in the Norton Community have used this file,
> and by its nature it represents a very high risk of viral infection. It
> trust that Sony and Norton will soon get their acts together and resolve
> this issue.
> A longtime Sony Fan,
> Robert Allington.
Please use plain text.
PeterT

All,

We have identify the issue where the VAIO Care application may become unresponsive after performing a Self Heal. Currently we are working on a patch to resolve this. As soon as we have a patch we will notify everyone on the forum.

The patch will be posted on esupport and through the VAIO Update application. We hope to have the patch release soon.

Again we are very sorry for this issue.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-921918

I hope the Sony folks do come out with a patch soon, and I'm glad I came to the forum and found out that I'm not alone in having this problem. Like one of the earlier posters, my Vaio Care (including self heal) was working fine until just recently. Everything else still works, but the self heal now crashes every time I try to run it.

The first symptom for me was actually that the last time I tried to run self heal it said there were 5 patches available but then would hang on the screen that said it was downloading and installing the first one. When I did a Google search on that file name, it seemed to be an old patch for a different laptop model. I then discovered that a new version of Vaio Care had been released, so I updated my Vaio Care. When I ran self heal after that, it said there were 3 patches available (down from 5), but as soon as I try to get them, I get the Windows pop-up telling me that Vaio Care has stopped working. This happens at work and at home.

I tried uninstalling Vaio Care, then reinstalling the base version from my computer model's website - no luck. I then tried updating to the new version again - no luck. I did find that when I updated my video card drivers the number of patches went from 3 to 2, but I don't know which other things on the Sony site are the ones self heal is finding.

The weird thing is that the program had worked fine from the first time I used it, and started having problems before I installed any updates. As others have said, updating to version 6.3 does not help.

Hoping a solution comes soon.
Please use plain text.