Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 5 (679 Views)

Activation key sticker partially rubbed off; Sony's restore discs.

[ Edited ]

Two questions:

1) Sony Vaio with Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) pre-installed.

Having problems, need to reformat. The sticker on the bottom with Activation Key is half rubbed away, can only see 1st 3 groups of characters.

Somewhere Sony has the Serial Number of my computer along with the Activation Key for my computer. I need Sony to help me here and locate this code - it should not be difficult.

I was registered with Sony, and had Technical  Support come to my residence twice for repairs.

So the system has my information.

But having spoken several times to Support at Sony including a supervisor, they claim they have none of that info. I've used Belarc software, but it gives me a Key which MS tells me is blocked by Sony. This is probably their overall Key, but not the Key specific to the install on my computer - the characters left underneath my computer are different. (As mentioned, I only have these partially,but the 1st 3 groups I have do not match). It's a valid computer purchase which can be verified - I have the Serial #, etc. Purchased thru Amazon - purchase record is available.

2) I have a set of reformat discs for my computer obtained several years ago from Sony. Sony Vaio support insists that if I use these then an activation between myself and MS will not be required. If they are wrong, I'll do a reformat and not have a working computer. I don't understand how they can be correct - are they thinking of Windows 8 (and above?), for which the Activation Key is on the Motherboard? How will these discs let MS know that this is an authentic copy without contact? The discs do not have an Activation Key inside the case. Please explain how the validation will be accomplished without a Product Key for me to input?

Even more important, I need someone from Sony to use my Computer Serial  # to locate the Product Activation Key.

VPCSE13FX C**9K*S**

System Serial Number  2****9534***0292***

Please help.

Message 2 of 5 (621 Views)

Re: Activation key sticker partially rubbed off; Sony's restore discs.

Hi USER-925300,

Welcome to Sony Community!

The information provided to you is correct, our computers come with an OEM version of Windows operating system where in the license key is attached to the main board & CPU components. We don't have a copy of this Windows license, we don't keep it. The original Windows operating system can only be retrieved by doing a Full Format Recovery or using the Vaio Recovery Disc. Once the process is done, the computer will be back to factory default. We suggest that you backup all your files before you proceed. 

Regards, 

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the 'Accept as Solution" button below.

Rookie
Message 3 of 5 (591 Views)

"The original Windows operating system can only be retrieved by doing a Full Format Recovery..." I cannot do a Recovery using the Partition on the computer, because the Product Activation Key on the bottom of the computer has to be input at the end.
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 4 of 5 (589 Views)

JenF - "our computers come with an OEM version of Windows operating system where in the license key is attached to the main board & CPU components. We don't have a copy of this Windows license, we don't keep it." I was registered with customer support, and had a Sony repair person twice come to my residence while it was under warranty. There will be a record of me and my serial # of the computer. Part of that information will be the Activation Key that was on the base of the computer, which is now partially rubbed off. I'm sure Sony has a record of that.
Message 5 of 5 (505 Views)

Hi, USER-925300

Again, Sony does not have the activation key, product key of the operating system of any Sony Vaio units. We do not copy, store and collect confidential information on any Vaio units. There are computers that do not need to enter the product key since they are already embedded on the motherboard of the unit. These are the newer models (Windows 8/8.1). You may use a retail copy of Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit instead. 

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook