Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (2,666 Views)
Accepted Solution

HDD Replacement - Vaio VPCYB15AG

Hi,

I am looking for a new HDD for my Sony Vaio Y Series Laptop VPCYB15AG. The existing one  Toshiba MK3259GSXP is about to give up. It was installed by Sony Service Center somewhere mid 2012 and now everything is out of warranty. As per its specs on Toshiba Website, this appears to be Advanced Format (AF) HDD, however no AF logo is displayed on its sticker.

I am in general aware of the compatibility issues with AF HDD and Win 7 OS w/o SP1. This laptop has Win7 Starter. I have its 2 recovery DVDs. This is based on AMD E350 CPU & AMD Fusion Chipset.

Will it be good enough to go for another AF HDD (As per my understanding existing MK3259GSXP is AF as well) or will it still be a safe bet to look for legacy 512 bytes/sector format. 

Would be great to get further clarity / advice on this.

Thanks & regards.

MMP

Expert
Message 2 of 4 (2,648 Views)

Re: HDD Replacement - Vaio VPCYB15AG

You would need to use a retail copy of Windows disk instead recovery cds if you decide to use AF Advance Format drive. Then download the drivers and software from http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/vpcyb15ag/download.  I really cant say for sure about the installed hdd on your computer but I think any drive which has Advanced Format will be marked with the words (or the logo shown below) on the drive label.

AF.jpg

I suggest you contact the Support team in your region so that you can verify and review the Specifications of your Asia Pacific model computer.

If this post answers your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (2,631 Views)

Thanks RichO. I have a related query, if I manage to find a legacy (512 bytes/sector) HDD, will the recovery be possible from the earlier created recovery disks?
Is the recovery disk (including Windows 7 Starter OEM) tied to HDD as well?
Thanks.
Expert
Message 4 of 4 (2,627 Views)

The recovery disc that you created should work under normal operation with the 512 format drive. It will also restore the original Windows Operating System and all software that came from the factory configuration.  

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook