Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Tuning Up
aramis7350
Accepted Solution

SOny VAIO Laptop restore problem

I am trying to restore my buddy's Vaio Laptop for him because of a bad hard drive. I was able to create restore disks before the hard drive went dead. I initially did a restore for him on a 250 Gig hard drive (the original was 320 Gigs) and everything went smoothly and the laptop worked well. However, he decided that he needed a larger hard drive, so I installed a known good 750 Gig hard drive and tried to run the restore program multiple times. It repeatedly crashed during final setup and gave me an error message that it could not work with the current hardware. I was able to install WIndows 7 using a Windows System disk and was able to access the Sony website to download the necessary drivers. The laptop works well, except for one unidentified hardware 'item' which won't load its driver.

So, if my hard drive is good, why won't the system allow the restore disks to load correctly?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

Re: SOny VAIO Laptop restore problem

Hello aramis7350!

For us to check your computer's specifications, can you please provide the exact model name of your laptop.

Hope this helps

~Tim

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
aramis7350

It is a Sony VAIO VPCEB23FM.

Please use plain text.
MarkCr

Hi aramis7350,

Recovery is dependent upon the type of drive that you are using. Most hard drives are using the 512byte sector and that is also the drive recognized by the recovery media. The newer hard drives may be using the AF(advanced format) or 4k drives and are not compatible with the previous recovery setup. As for the unidentified item in your device manager, what you can try to do is update every available driver to check it out. Hope it helps!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
aramis7350

OK ... so that may explain the restore problem because I used a 7200 rpm drive. However, the driver problem seems unsolvable, given that several of the driver installations ended up with an error message telling me that the driver may not have properly installed and to retry. Retrying made no difference ... same error message. The only thing I can think of is that, like Dells, I may need to install the drivers in a particular sequence, but I didn't see any such notation prior to my installation.

Please use plain text.
MarkCr

Yes, there are some drivers that need to be installed in order especially critical updates to give way for the computer to recognize these drivers. Have you tried using vaio update to update the drivers automatically? If it's not available then manual updates are the only option. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
aramis7350

[ Edited ]

As I said before, I had to use a non-Sony Windows 7 system disk to load the operating system. This did not provide me with the relevant drivers, including those necessary to activate my wireless internet connection; I had to use another computer to obtain those drivers to set up my wireless connection. At this point, is there a way to identify the hardware 'item' that is still missing its driver as it does not show up flagged on my Device Manager list? I do have the Vaio Update system installed, but it seems to have made no difference.

Please use plain text.
MarkCr

At this point, there are two possible actions that can be taken:

1. You will have to go through the process of elimination by downloading the drivers one by one( just the primary ones would do) and install them while looking out if there are any changes to the missing device.

2. You can browse the web for  a driver detection software that automatically scans your computer for any hardware that needs a driver installation/update.

Please use plain text.