Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 2 (682 Views)

USB PORT UPDATE SONY VAIO

HELLO,

My sony vaio laptop VGN-cs180j has 3 usb ports. How do i know if they are compatible with usb 3.0 because I bought an external hard drive that 3.0 and my laptop does not read it. It seems that even though the external hard drive is compatible with USB 2.0, the port on the laptop does not connect with it.

Every other device such as a few USB memory sticks and a mouse or a keyboard are being normally connected.

The device manager in control panels does not seem to reveal this information. I have Windows 7.

Could you please instruct me on how to update the usb ports or what I should do to be able to connect the external hard drive with the laptop?...

The laptop has been purchased quite a few years ago, I think 2008 or 2009, from New York.

Looking forward to your support and assistance.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Nicole.

Message 2 of 2 (625 Views)

Re: USB PORT UPDATE SONY VAIO

Hi Nicole6485,

Welcome to Sony Community!

The 3 USB ports on this laptop are 2.0 compliant only. There is no driver update available for the USB port and I doubt that software update will make the USB port compatible with 3.0. USB port and other parts need to be replaced.

We highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ to assist you with this issue. 

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook