Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 2 (418 Views)

Will Sony Vaio Laptop Recovery Disks work after changing motherboard?

[ Edited ]

I have Sony Vaio Laptop (VPCYB15AG) with OEM Windows 7 Starter 32 Bit, preinstalled and activated. Its firmware is traditional BIOS. I have created recovery disks containing the full OS image that are bootable and can be used to restore the laptop to the factory image in case required.

If for some reasons a fault develops in the motherboard which requires the vendor to completely install a new motherboard in the laptop, now will the recovery disks that I had created earlier work with this new hardware seamlessly or will the vendor need to give a new pre-activated Windows 7 Starter copy or new recovery disks due to major hardware change like motherboard?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 2 (353 Views)

Re: Will Sony Vaio Laptop Recovery Disks work after changing motherboard?

Hi mmp_2013

Thank you for visiting Sony Community! 

The product key of the recovery disc (operating system) of your laptop is embedded on the motherboard. There will be an issue installing that on your laptop. With regard to this concern, we suggest contacting Sony Authorized Service Center

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook