Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 4 (3,164 Views)

Windows XP Upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10 without bootable DVD & Flash Drive

Dear Experts,

I have an old Sony VAIO VGN-FS980 ,  which i want to use it as an secondary laptop at my home.

It has current Operating system - Windows XP where i want to upgrade to either Windows 8 or Windows 10.

After downloading Windows 8 or Windows 10 from Microsoft, I couldnt install by accessing the setup.exe program. I  tried to burn

the downloaded ISO file to DVD & make it as a bootable but DVD-RW Drive which exists in the laptop is not working.

Have tried making bootable USB flash drive but at the bios boot menu couldnt see boot option with flash drive or USB.

Any options to install would highly appreciated .

Thanks for your help

- Chris

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (3,107 Views)

Windows XP Upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10 without bootable DVD & Flash Drive

Dear Experts,

I have an old Sony VAIO VGN-FS980 ,  which i want to use it as an secondary laptop at my home.

It has current Operating system - Windows XP where i want to upgrade to either Windows 8 or Windows 10.

After downloading Windows 8 or Windows 10 from Microsoft, I couldnt install by accessing the setup.exe program. I  tried to burn the downloaded ISO file to DVD & make it as a bootable but DVD-RW Drive which exists in the laptop is not working.

Have tried making bootable USB flash drive but at the bios boot menu couldnt see boot option with flash drive or USB.

Any options to install would highly appreciated .

Thanks for your help

- Chris

Message 3 of 4 (3,087 Views)

Re: Windows XP Upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10 without bootable DVD & Flash Drive

Hi Chris976,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Thank you for your message. This laptop VGN-FS980 has a support for Window XP and Vista only. Upgrading this to a higher version may lead to limited function or unforeseen issues. If you have decided to upgrade this laptop but not familiar with the process, we suggest that you should get some help from experienced people, Sony service center or a trustworthy computer repair service in your area.

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 4 (3,080 Views)

Re: Windows XP Upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10 without bootable DVD & Flash Drive

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply.I understand support for the model in regards to the operating system.

As mentioned in my initial reply, For Sony VAIO VGN-FS980 model i don't have DVD-RW drive working & couldn't find USB flash drive bootable at the bios.

Is there any way i can install operating system as bootable i.e bios flash drive bootable or bios update ...etc

Thanks,

Chris

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook