Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (630 Views)

VPCSC41FM keyboard back light and power button light are not working anymore. Any remedy?

My back lights on the keyboard and my power button light(s) all stopped working at the same time.

I know my laptop is old...but, there has to be an easy fix to this issue.  I assume it happened when a Windows 10 update was automatically installed.  So, I tried to restore to an earlier date, and it didn't UN-DO it.  Any other ideas?

I think I remember the same thing happened when Windows 10 FIRST CAME OUT, and Sony Tech support helped me through it. Now, the phone number I used before just has a recording, saying they don't help guys like me anymore.

Please help!

Message 2 of 8 (609 Views)

Re: VPCSC41FM keyboard back light and power button light are not working anymore. Any remedy?

[ Edited ]

Hi, HDCruzr

Welcome to Sony Community! 

VPCSC41FM came with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium and this unit is not compatible with Windows 10. You will notice that we do not have Windows 10 drivers and software for this model: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCSC41FM&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/d.... It may work or may not work at all. Windows 8 and 8.1 are not listed as well. 

You may still try my suggestions below and see if the issues will be resolved: 

• Power cycle - Shut it down, unplug all connected devices especially the AC power adapter. Using a safety pin, hold the battery off button for 5 seconds located on the bottom of the unit. Connect the AC power adapter and turn it on again. 
  • Reset BIOS

Regards, 

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (503 Views)

Re: VPCSC41FM keyboard back light and power button light are not working anymore. Any remedy?

Bummer, but this solution did NOT work.  

Everytime I try to reset the BIOS to original default, and save changes...it restarts, but the smae bios comes up (R2087H4).  

If that IS the default BIOS, then what else can be the reason why my keyboard back light, and power button light stopped working?

Frustrated in Kansas City!

Message 4 of 8 (466 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi HDCruzr,

Is the laptop still running Windows 7 operating system?

Please click on  the link below and follow the steps provided,

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32161

If you can't find the software or if the options are missing, please install the following software in order: 

These will install the originally shipped Battery Checker, VAIO® Control Center, and VAIO Power Management. After the installation, repeat the steps above. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jen 

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8 (461 Views)

No, it's not running with 7 anymore. I "caved into" the constant reminders from MS that I should install 10.
Can I still install those items you suggested?
Message 6 of 8 (450 Views)

Hi HDCruzr,

Have you checked if you still have these programs? If you can't find the programs I've mentioned in your system, you may try to install them together with the updates for Windows 8 and 8.1. These updates are available at https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCSC41FM&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/d....  

The problem though is that the system might detect that you're currently running Windows 10, therefore, it might not download. Again, you can try it. Good luck!

Regards, 

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8 (437 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello JenF,

You're the first moderator I've found here since signing up 2 days ago. Sorry to go off topic but I hope you might advise me. Please look at my post here regarding the RealTek HD Audio Manager.

https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Software-Other-Operating/ESupport-s-Realtek-Driver-Missing-Realte...

Would you know where I can download it from?

Again, the HD Audio Manager is not included in the RealTek Audio driver that I downloaded from Sony eSupport Why do you suppose it wasn't it included?

No one at RealTek replied to my emails and that one page from that link at their website downloading the Manager is too confusing to use.

And I'm certainly not going to pay $100. for something that should be free of charge.

htt***remiu******o**********o*****/so***  

But if I don't have the Manager I'm probably not going to be able to resolve the internal mic noise and external mic record gain problems. Please let me know where I might be able to download what I need.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8 (364 Views)

Hi, 2runrew

JenF already replied to your other post. Here's the link to that: https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Software-Other-Operating/ESupport-s-Realtek-Driver-Missing-Realte...

Thanks,

Vincent 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook