VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (825 Views)

What Are the POST Failure Indicators

[ Edited ]

I believe  that my Vaio is failing POST but I want to make sure.  When I  apply power, the  HDD, Caps  Lock  and  Num Lock LED's flash (very quickly --  < 500ms).  I hear  the  HDD  start  up but  the screen never  shows  anything.  I have  tried  to  boot  from an  external HDD and the only difference  is that  I  can hear  the HDD  shut off after about  5 seconds.   I do NOT hear any audio (beeps) from the  PC.  I have also tried an external monitor but no indications on it either. 

Yesterday, I had the same  problem although the  Vaio did eventually boot; Today nothing.  I have reset the  computer.  I have reset the RAM.  I velieve  that  since I am  hearing no POST  audio indication, that POST  has  failed.  Does  anyone know if there  should be an  audio indicator of POST completion?  Any other ideas?

This  is a Vaio  E-Series Model: PCG61611L

Message 2 of 3 (732 Views)

Re: What Are the POST Failure Indicators

Hi Joliet_tech,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Kindly refer to the link below for more information and additional steps on how to troubleshoot the issue on your laptop.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34849

Regards,

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (690 Views)

Re: What Are the POST Failure Indicators

Thank you Jen. I had already read that article.  Let me add some info. 

After many attempts to boot the pc, it finaly started.  I figured something was wrong with the HDD.  Niether chkdsk and sfc found  any errors.  I did have some System Events related to the HDD drivers.  I couldn't find anything definitive on the errors so I just took a leap and reloaded the OS.  It is now on Windows 7.

I rebooted the pc over 15 times over a 24 hour period with no issues.  I was leaving for the day yessterday afternoon so i turned the pc off.  It sat for about 8 hours and when I got back home last night, i tried to start it.  Nothing.  Black screen.  All LED's flash (HDD, Power, Caps, Num) very briefly -- Same symptoms.

I am perplexed.  While  is  sounds and feels like a POST Failure, I'm not sure what else I can do.  I did reformat the HDD when I reloaded Windows. I don't believe  that  this is hardware as if hardware  fails, it's done.  I'm convinced that this is software related. 

Any other  ideas? 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook