Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 83 (27,921 Views)

Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

I got my Windows 10 verification screen telling me that it cannot upgrde by VAIO All in One computer because the "Display manufacturer has not made my display conpatible with Windows 10".  The device driver referenced is for a "NVIDIA GE FORCE GT 240M". I already tried to go to the GE FORCE website and downlod it but it said the driver could not be loaded to the hardware.

My question is can you tell me if the NVIDIA GE FORCE GT 240M driver will be provided so I can continue working on my Windows 10 installation? 

Expert
Message 2 of 83 (27,778 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

[ Edited ]

I just spent hours writing up a long and detailed response as to how you can install the latest nVidia drivers.  however, the forum page faulted, and i lost the post.  It did make a backup.  2 hours ago !  So, I'm going to take a few very deep breathes, try and calm down a bit, and then write up reply again.  Wow.. Sony.. even your forum system is... infuriating !!

Expert
Message 3 of 83 (27,765 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

[ Edited ]

I've just managed to get the latest nVidia drivers installed on Windows 10 for my elderley vgn-aw17gu, which has an nVidia 9600M GT graphics chipset.  It did take a bit of research.  For me, this process was made even more complex as my primary display does not work, and i rely on a secondary display.

The procedure went a bit like this;

Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

+ Use the Microsoft WIndows 10 Media Creation tool w10 Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 installation files.  This will let you create a USB drive from which to install Windows 10.  It also means that you won't potentially keep downloading W10 installation files over and over again if you encounter a failed installation.

Install Windows 10 via USB

+ Using the media that you created in the previous step, install Windows 10.

Download the latest nVidia drivers direct from the nVidia website

+ Go to the nVidia driver download site and download the latest drivers for your hardware.

Attempt installation of nVidia drivers

+ As expected, they will fail and inform you that no compitible hardware was found
+ They will however, extract installation files to c:\nvidia folder

Select and modify INF file for your hardware

+ This is the tricky bit !
+ Look up your hardware information in device manager

- Open device manager, open display adapters
   - Double click to open the "Microsoft Display Adapater"
   - Click on the details tab, and select the "hardware Ids" property
   - Take note of your DEV and SUBSYS
   - In the case of my 9600M GT the value is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_9040104D&REV_A1"

+ Go to the "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.74\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver" folder
+ Pick a .inf file.  I selected "nvaci.inf' as some of the hardware here closely matched my hardware.
+ Make a copy of this file, then open it using notepad
+ Scroll down to the section headed
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]
   %NVIDIA_DEV.0405.011D.1025% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0405&SUBSYS_011D1025
+ Now scroll further and try and locate an entry with the same DEV as your hardware
+ Copy this line and paste it to a new line befow
+ Adjust the line so that it matches your hardware DEV and SUBSYS.  For my 9600M GT, I added the following entry
     %NVIDIA_DEV.0649.9040.104D% = Section012, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_9040104D
+ I also added the same entry to [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1], [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]
 and so on.  Not sure if this is really needed.
+ Now scroll down to the section headed
     [Strings]
     DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"
+ Find a line that matches your hardware.  
+ Copy and paste this entry to a new line.  For my 9600M GT I added the line
     NVIDIA_DEV.0649.9040.104D = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT                  "
+ Save the file.  This change will break the digital signature of the driver installation, and cause the drivers to now be unsigned.

Allow use of unsigned drivers

+ Open a command prompt as administrator
+ Enter the following commands
   - BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
   - BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING ON
+ Restart the computer.

Run nVidia setup again

+ Go to "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.74\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver" and run setup again
+ The installation should now complete successfully.  The drivers will be installed, as well as related nVidia utilities

Turn test signing back off

+ Open a command prompt as administrator and enter the following commands

- BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
   - BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING OFF

+ Restart computer

Good luck !!  I hope this saves somebody the time and immense frustration i faced having to overcome this potentially needless problem. 

If it helps you, please click the kudos button and let us know.  Farkel1234, it tt worked for you, please click the "mark as solution" button.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 83 (27,637 Views)

Good evening,

I used the guide that Darren_CP wrote and changed it to suite your hardware ID & subsys since I own the same computer.  Please let me know if it works if you haven't already completed the steps:

https://windows10insider.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/installationwoes/

My VAIO is now running Windows 10 like a boss!

-Christian

Message 5 of 83 (27,571 Views)

Hi Farkel1234

Welcome to Sony Community! 

Sony is still updating and validating the drivers and software for Windows 10 operating system. There is also a possibility that Sony will only release the drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 pre-installed OS. Please save and bookmark this page: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl. The page will be updated once the drivers are available. 

Thanks,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 83 (27,419 Views)

Thank you so much Darren_CP. After spending hours trying to install Windows 10 drivers for my Geforce GT330m on my Vaio computer VPCL135fx, I followed Darren_CP's detailed instructions and the Windows 10 display is now working as a charm. The display adapter has been updated from "Microsoft Basic Display adapter" to "Nvidia Geforce GT 330m".

All, look no further, this is THE solution until (and if) Sony provides the official update.

amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 7 of 83 (27,399 Views)

Darren:

Do you think your work around could work with a nvidia geoforce gt 330m card?

Expert
Message 8 of 83 (27,393 Views)

@Vigour

Excellent !!  Thanks for the feedback.  Glad it worked for you !

Expert
Message 9 of 83 (27,383 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Amp

Appears to have worked for Vigour, who has the same chipset, so I'm pretty confident in saying YES !

The generic drivers from nVidia will provide support for your chipset, it's just that the installation package is designed to not detect the Sony OEM version of the hardware.  To copy and paste from another thread..

The problem is that the driver installation package intentionally does not detect the OEM model of this chipset as supplied to Sony.  This typically happens to allow Sony to supply their customers with their own customized or "tweaked" iteration of these drivers.  It also allows Sony time to test the latest drivers, as provided by nVidia, to ensure that they do indeed work properly with their hardware.  I suspect however, that in the great majority of cases, the nVidia and Sony driver release are exactly the same.

amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 10 of 83 (27,381 Views)

Saw that it was tried with 330m so I will give it a shot!  Do I need to change the driver back from 330m to microsoft basic display driver in device manager before I select the hardware ids, etc.?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook