Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 21 of 87 (4,617 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

I'll do that right now and report back.  Do I just add the line at the bottom of each section (6.1, 6.2 etc.) and at the bottom of [Strings] under the last entry for Geforce GT 330M? 

Expert
Message 22 of 87 (4,613 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

@amp

Bottom of the section(s) is fine.  Position doesn't really matter just so long as the line is in there.

Same for [Strings]

amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 23 of 87 (4,597 Views)

[ Edited ]

It started installing but said installation failed (maybe I just have to move the quotation mark over one space?) but the driver appears in the device manager and everything seems to be working, so I have to say:  Worked like a CHARM!!! Thank you so much.  My sincere gratitude for taking the time to walk me through this.  No help from Microsoft or Sony and you not only provided the solution but took your valuable time to find the solution for me. 

amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 24 of 87 (4,554 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCZ13AHX with NVIDIA GeForce GT 300 M Driver

@DARREN_CP

Decided to run it one more time the way you walked me through it and it installed perfectly this time with no fail message so your Solution was right on!  Maybe I just missed a space or something but the 330M is now correctly in the Device Manager and video display works fine.  Once again, thank you for all your help.

Rookie
Message 25 of 87 (4,401 Views)

Hi,

I have a Vaio VPCL13M1E with a Nvidia Geforce GT 330m and when clicking the prompt to upgrade to windows 10 I'm also getting the error message that the display adapter is not compatible.

I followed the instructions posted by @Darren_CP and successfully upgraded the drivers (whilst still in 8.1) but am still getting the prompt that adapter is not compatible...I noticed a post from @amp saying that this actually only works when Windows 10 has already been installed so my question is - how do i bypass the prompt saying that the display adapter is not compatible so i can install windows 10?

Thanks in advance!

Enthusiast
Message 26 of 87 (4,366 Views)

I was able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop VPCF111FX which previous used a Nvidia GEFORCE GT 310M driver...no problems.

Unfortunately, my all-in-one Sony Desktop VPCL135FX currently running Windows 7 and using a GEFORCE GT 330M driver won't upgrade to Windows 10 because (according to the error message) the hardware is incompatible with the Nvidia driver necessary to run Windows 10.

Nvidia says it's a Sony issue which is confusing since it is Nvidia's driver. Apparently, there are no upgrades of anykind available for this driver. From what I read in the Sony posts regarding this is that Sony is still testing Windows 10. The is no date given for when the testing will conclude and upgrades will be possible for certain models, which includes the VPCL135FX. Both Vaios were purchased a pretty much the same time, give or take a few weeks or months.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when Sony will conlude testing? Thanks.

Expert
Message 27 of 87 (4,333 Views)

[ Edited ]

@josborne3 and @kwol

What installation method are you attempting to use ?

Are you using the process spawned by the little Windows 10 symbol on the bottom right hand corner of Windows 7/8 to do the upgrade, or are you attempting the upgrade via USB ?

I didn't personally encounter this issue whilst attempting to upgrade, but I'd suggest it can be overcome by using the WIndows 10 Media Creation tool.  This will let you created a USB drive from which to install Windows 10.  It also means that you won't potentially keep downloading W10 installation files over and over again if you encountered a failed installation.
w10 Media Creation Tool

See Amp's post on page 2 of this thread.

Hope this helps !  Let me know how you get on.

Expert
Message 28 of 87 (4,332 Views)

[ Edited ]

@kwol

See reply above

amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 29 of 87 (4,289 Views)

@josborne3

If you follow @Darren_CP instructions, you will be able to fix the problem.  You just need to go to Windows 10 support and search for the Media Creation Tool and load it on a USB and install windows from the USB.  I had to remove the NVIDIA geforce gt 330m driver and let the basic microsoft video driver replace it and then I installed windows 10 from the usb.  You bypass the annoying error message with the NVIDIA driver.  You then just need to follow @Darren_CP directions (see his note to me on which string to choose) and you can then reinstall the 330m driver.

Enthusiast
Message 30 of 87 (4,244 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I previously read the install instructions you directed me to. Not being much of a computer geek, I was concerned I would mess something up, which is why I posted the question. I guess I was hoping there was a simpler answer. Whether I give this solution a try or not, I will download the media creation tool to a USB so I can have a backup install for Windows 10  should it ever "go belly up".

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook