Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
amp Apprentice
Apprentice
Message 31 of 87 (5,575 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

I think you can do it because I typically avoid those registry and other system changes and I did it.  The key is to find the correct .inf file and this is the one that matched mine that @Darren_CP figured out for me. (nvcti.inf)

Enthusiast
Message 32 of 87 (5,550 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I may give it a try tomorrow when I am fresh.

Enthusiast
Message 33 of 87 (5,466 Views)

I like many others have had a frustrating experience with the Sony VAIO and Windows 10.  What I have seen on this discussion gies me new hope.

I am unsure how to use the information about my  NVidia GeForce GT 330M to make that complex editing of the files you mention work.  There do not seem to be enough numbers.  My VAIO is a VPCS128GG.

The information on the GT 330M I got fromthe hardware lds which gives four lines:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_A2

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&CC_0300

Which pne of these do I use to insert into the chosen file for the NVidia 341.74 driver?    In Display.Driver, if I go to nvami.inf for example, the nearest I have is:

NVIDIA_DEV.0A28.2031.1043 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M"

NVIDIA_DEV.0A2D.1312.1043 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M  "

Where do the 2031.1043 and the 1312.1043 come from?  Of course, wehave a line for 230M and 320M but not for 330M.

Earlier in the file I have:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2D.1312.1043% = Section092, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2D&SUBSYS_13121043 

All I see to do is to put in:

NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.????.1043 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M  "

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.????.1043%= Section092,(space) PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_A2

Where do I get that number represented by the ???? above?

Am I on the right track or have I completely misunderstood?

Why is it that it doesn ot matter which inf file you change; if it is infact an inf file.

Leon

Enthusiast
Message 34 of 87 (5,463 Views)

Having written all the above I see that I should have looked at further messags since somebody has the same set of lines in the Hardware lds line.

I shall check that out.

Leon

Enthusiast
Message 35 of 87 (5,445 Views)

Having followed the instructions on this site with respect to changing inf files etc. for installation of an NVidia GeForce GT 330 M I managed to get a bit further in the installation.  I was rewarded with a new error message - very welcome of course - from the NVidia installer for the Graphic Driver Version 341.74.  It was: "You must install an Intel driver first."  It said nothing about that before; it probably did not think I would get this far.  It merely said that it could not find any compatible hardware or words to that effect.  So I presume it can now find compatible hardware but now it has decided to throw up another obstacle just because it can.

There is an Intel Graphics Media Acclerator already installed and that seems to be working.  

Where do I get the Intel driver and how will I know it is the right Intel driver?

Leon

Expert
Message 36 of 87 (5,406 Views)

[ Edited ]

@LeontheWolf

It sounds like you have managed to edit an inf file correctly and the drivers (and associated nVidia software) are indeed attempting to install.

The latest Intel drivers can be downloaded from the Intel Download Centre

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Use the autodetect or manually select your hardware.  Download the latest drivers and see if this then allows the nVidia software to install correctly.  The good news is that the nVidia software does seem to detect that you do have additional (Intel/Optimus) graphics hardware and will hopefully install all the required software to switch between stamina (intel) and speed (nvidia) hardware.  I can see a folder for Display.Optimus that is included as part of the driver pack, so that is a good sign.

Unfortunately I don't have this Optimus hardware, so I can't experiment and devise an explicit set of instructions.  The best I can do is take another look at the nVidia installer files and try and figure out how it is attempting to recognise the Intel hardware.   Let me know how you get on with the latest Intel drivers as mentioned above.

If it doesn't work, restore the previously edited nvcti.inf from the backup you made. (otherwise delete c:\nvidia and extract the drivers again). 

Make changes instead to nvmti.inf

Add the following line to NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0 (1,2 and 3)

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.905A.104D% = Section037, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D

And then the following to [Strings]

NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.905A.104D = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M    "

Expert
Message 37 of 87 (5,398 Views)

If anyone is having trouble finding the right .inf file to edit for their hardware, check the file "ListDevices.txt" in the "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.74\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International" folder.  This provides a list of what hardware is support in each of the inf files.  Look to for an exact match for your DEV, and something that hopefully resembles somewhat your SUBSYS.

Enthusiast
Message 38 of 87 (5,373 Views)

Thank you very much for all your input. I have had this VAIO computer for perhaps four years and I'm now learning many things about it I did not know before. I had no idea that changing from Speed to Stamina changed you from Nvidia to Intel. I mainly use my computers as glorified pens since mostly I'm writing reports. Further, I normally run my computer on Speed. I don't know if that could be part of the problem.

Nevertheless, I would still like to install Windows 10 on this machine since I have done so successfully on four other machines (not VAIO). It is still the display driver which is the sticking point from Windows 10's viewpoint.

Now, in relation to the very thoughtful reply from Darren_CP, I tried updating the Intel driver by going onto the suggested website and having the Intel software detect the appropriate replacement driver. I managed to download the suggested drivers but then they would not install.  The error was expressed as follows:

"Graphics:

A customised computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel driver update utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customised computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for latest driver for your computer.

Chipset

Intel chipset device software(INF update utility-EXE only) 9.1.1 .1022 10.0.27"

Contacting Sony for the latest Intel driver would be an exercise in wall headbanging. Since that approach had failed, I then restored the previously edited nvcti.inf and made the suggested changes to nvmti.inf.

The installation still reached the same point as before – with the same error relating to Intel.  Hence, neither approach worked but I thank you all the same for your assistance.

I presume I am using the right installation file which on my computer is setup.exec in the International folder. I could not find a set up file in the Display.Driver subfolder.

If you have any further ideas I would greatly appreciate receiving them.

Leon

Expert
Message 39 of 87 (5,219 Views)

Sorry, but I haven't had time to really look into this.  From the quick look I did have, I think the error message is produced by Optimusupdate.nvi in C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.74\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Optimus

Somewhere "IntelDriverPresentCheck" prooduced a flag "IntelDriverNotPresentMessage".  All I have to do is figure out what triggers this condition and we'll be set ! 

Although I wonder what would happen if we changed the line in this file from

<custom name="IntelDriverPresentCheck" level="error" text="${{IntelDriverNotPresentMessage}}"/>

to

<custom name="IntelDriverPresentCheck" level="error" text="${{DummyMessage}}"/>

or even just removed it, what would happen ?

Sadly I don't have this hardware configuration to test with, so it's hard to experiment.

Enthusiast
Message 40 of 87 (4,655 Views)

Hi. First of all thank you for all the inputs so far.

Here is my situation. I have a Vaio VGN-Z51WG which has as the "speed" graphics card an NVIDIA 9300M GS.

I've tried following your tutorial on using an unsigned driver and I think I understand most of it however when I try to reboot after installing my PC locks up and I never get to windows starting up. I need to revert to the generic driver in safe mode in order to be able to reboot normally.

Here are my questions:

- Which driver version should I use? I'm trying to use 341.74 but this one does not seem to have the driver ID fro my 9300M GS which is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E5&SUBSYS_9025104D. It does however have 06E9 which is also a 9300M GS

- Should I try another version which may have 06E5 already supported? Which would that be and would that support Win10?

- Does it make any difference that my laptop has also an intel graphics card as a "stamina" setting? I'm unsure if I can boot in stamina mode

Thanks again for your help

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook