Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 81 of 87 (1,917 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

Hello All,

Need any help/assistance in solving my issue:

Have a Sony Vaio VPCZ126GA laptop with Intel HD AND Nividia GeForce GT330M video.

The laptop originally came with Win 7 Pro 64 bit and I upgraded successfully to Win 10 Pro 64 bit version 1607 build 14393.693. This was done NOT by using the upgrade icon in the task bar (had missed the time frame for the free upgrade) but by using free upgrade still available for those who use Assistive Technologies. (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade)

That process downloaded approx 6gb and the upgrade went through fine.  

Now unfortunately HDMI output does not work (have not tried the VGA output) and Screen brightness control works but actually does not reduce or increase brightness. The auto change between Speed and Stamina mode has also stopped (as neither Intel nor the Nvidia drivers are working) as has the backlight on the keyboard.

Device Manager shows both Intel HD and the NVidia GeForce GT330M drivers but with exclamation marks. I have attached images

Not sure which display driver is being used as the laptop screen works (am using it to write and post this message). Also not sure IF or how to revert back to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as cannot find it on the laptop.

Found this site, read through all pages, and in following direction provided by Darren_CP on Page 1 of this post by went to Nvidia.com to look for the current drivers. Was not able to auto detect my video card. Manually searching yielded the ver. 342.01 drivers for Win 10 Pro 64 bit / GeForce 300M series.

Have modified the nvcti.inf file as per Darren_CP post to amp on page 2 of thread (last post)

Have disabled integrity checks to allow use of unsigned drivers

Unfortunately still does not work.

Have posted my Dev and Subsys as listed in device manager.

I upgraded to Win 10

Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

PS: Cant seem to attach any images

Expert
Message 82 of 87 (1,878 Views)

Re: Windows 10 installation on a VPCL116FX using a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 240M DRIVER PROBLEM

[ Edited ]

Hello roopster,

hybrid graphics (switchable graphics) are much more difficult to deal with, because of the second GPU, which has to be integrated in the same INF file. This situation is not respected in the Nvidia driver. A first easy attempt to a solution could be:

1. Download the switchable graphics driver of your laptop here.
  2. Uninstall both GPUs from device manager and any GPU driver software at the control panel -> uninstall programs. Maybe you have to reboot after that.
  3. Extract the already downloaded driver.
  4. Right-click the setup.exe file inside the root/main folder of the unzipped driver -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> Set compatibility mode: Windows 7 -> Apply -> OK
  5. Try to run setup.exe to install the Windows 7 switchable graphics driver on your Windows 10 OS

Report back, if this attempt worked or not!

Good luck!

Enthusiast
Message 83 of 87 (1,499 Views)

1. Uninstall NVIDIA Drivers. That will make Microsoft Basic Display Adapter to show up.
  2. Update Microsoft Basic Display Adapter’s Driver Software by Browse my computer for driver software -> C:\Windows\Drivers\EXE\Graphics Driver (NVIDIA)\ or where the driver’s original software has been installed.
  3. Disable graphics drivers’ update:

3.1 Run gpedit.msc

3.2 Go to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions

3.3 Double-click on "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" and set it to Enabled.

3.4 Click the Show button to launch the dialog "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs"

3.5 Paste into Value the copied hardware-id for the device, e.g.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_A2

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&CC_0300

The same for the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD, e.g.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_905A104D

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_0300

Click Apply and OK.

Rookie
Message 84 of 87 (1,157 Views)

Thanks! It's good to know that the installation of the old Vaio Nvidia driver works manually via the device manager. I guess no one here tried this simple solution before.

Rookie
Message 85 of 87 (1,046 Views)

Rookie
Message 86 of 87 (1,046 Views)

@JohnBoyX570 I have the exam same model as you (VPCL137FX). Would you mind poinitng me towards the directions you followed and perhaps which file you edited, etc?

Message 87 of 87 (941 Views)

Hi, Invertedaxis, Sony Community! 

Thank you for your messages. 

VPCL137FX came with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium and we do not recommend upgrading it to Windows 10. These same with other units especially VPCs that came with either Windows Vista or Windows 7, they do not have Windows 10 driver updates. To give you an example, here's the link for VPCL137FX:: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCL137FX&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/d...

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook