Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Walkman Players

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 5 (392 Views)

1 year Sony Warranty is WORTHLESS when purchasing a new Sony NWZ-E384 walkman from Ebay seller shop

Sony Support case:14618489

Ebay seller shop name: the_price_grabber

Hi

A brief history of my experience in purchasing a new Sony NWZ-E384 walkman from an Ebay seller shop:

I purchased a new Sony NWZ-E384 walkman from Ebay seller shop (the_price_grabber) on

12/09/2015.

The walkman was purchased new and the packaging contained a 1 year Sony Warranty.

In less than 6 months the battery stopped charging on the walkman and I could no longer use it.

I contacted the seller via Ebay to notify them of the problem on 1 Jul 2016.

The Ebay seller said that they would not honour the warranty as it was over 3 months since the purchase date.

I contacted Ebay Customer Services. Ebay are not able to assist via their Ebay Money Back Guarantee because it was over 6 months since I purchased the item. The same response from Paypal that was used to purchase the walkman.

I contacted Sony Customer Support who say that the 1 year warranty is with Sony and the seller.

Had I bought the walkman from a high street shop, the shop would replace the faulty walkman.

The Ebay seller simply refers me back to Sony and does not reply to my messages on Ebay.

Sony Customer Support say that they do not have a Sony walkman that they can send to me to replace the faulty one that I purchased.

So I have a piece of paper labelled "Sony Warranty" that is worthless.

I wasted money purchasing a new Sony item that in less than 6 months stopped working.

Can anyone help?

In general, do Sony manufactured goods stop working in less than 6 months?

Can I file a complaint with Sony and how a Sony product warranty is no guarantee for the consumer?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 5 (354 Views)

Re: 1 year Sony Warranty is WORTHLESS when purchasing a new Sony NWZ-E384 walkman from Ebay seller shop

Hi Shars10,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

On this site we are able to provide assistance for customers in North America. If you are from North America, please send us an email at socialsupport@am.sony.com. If you are outside of North America, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 3 of 5 (284 Views)

Re: 1 year Sony Warranty is WORTHLESS when purchasing a new Sony NWZ-E384 walkman from Ebay seller shop

Hi JoffreyS,

I already contacted Sony Support UK.

What occurred is described in my post.

This was the reason for putting this post to the wider community for help.

I do not like the idea of returning to Sony Support UK to reach the same conclusion as the first time.

Can anyone else help?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 4 of 5 (83 Views)

I had similar experience with walkman.  Stopped taking a charge after 6 months.  Fortunately I bought a SquareTrade warranty - mainly because of the many posts of Sony Walkman Sport problems.  Sony warranty is no good unless you like paying to have their faulty products repaired.  Company should be renamed Six Month Sony.

Message 5 of 5 (57 Views)

Hi Geno1,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We are sorry to hear that the unit doesn't charge after six month of purchased. Here are the steps that we recommend to isolate the issue:

1. Connect the portable player to the computer using the supplied USB cable.

IMPORTANT NWZ-W252 NOTE: The Walkman player model NWZ-W252 uses a unique USB cable and will not work properly if used with any other USB cable available on the market including those supplied with similar Sony® products with USB connections. You must use the cable that was included with this model.

2. Disconnect the USB cable from the portable player and then reconnect.
  3. Check the connection status again.

NOTE: For the NWZ-W262 and W263: The OPR lamp will light red, indicating that battery is starting to charge, even if the connection was not made properly. In this case, disconnect and reconnect the player to your computer.

4. Set the portable player to USB Connection Mode.

NOTE: This setting is only available on the NWZ X series and some NWZ E series Walkman players.

5. (Skip this step if your player is not recognized at all by any software.) Check for available spaceon the player using Windows Media Player, Media Go™, or My Computer.
  6. If none of these options corrects the situation you can try a reset on your Walkman player. A soft reset procedure will close all open or running applications and services, and then restart the Walkman player. No data is erased and no applications are removed.
  7. Locate the reset slot.
  8. Take a small paperclip, insert the paperclip into the slot and press gently. You will see the Walkman player restart.
  9. Once the Walkman player restarts, plug it back into the computer.
  10. Check the connection status again.
  11. If the Walkman player is still not recognized, restart the computer.
  12. Check the connection status again.
  13. Check that the USB cable is firmly connected to both the computer and the player.
  14. Check the connection status again.
  15. If the player is connected to a USB hub, disconnect it and connect it directly to the computer with a dedicated USB cable.
  16. Check the connection status again.
  17. If the player is still not recognized by the computer, disconnect all devices connected to the computer with a USB connection and restart the computer.
  18. After the computer restarts, connect only the Walkman player and test the connection again.
  19. If the player is still not recognized by the computer, try a different USB port.
  20. Check the connection status again.
  21. Under the Common settings menu of the player, format the player using the built-in Format utility.
  22. Check the connection status again.
  23. Verify the current Operating System. If it is an upgraded operating system, contact the computer manufacturer for updated drivers for their upgraded operating system.
  24. If you are running the Windows XP operating system, be sure you are running Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later.
  25. If you did not have the latest service pack, test the connection status again after it has been installed.
  26. If you are still unable to transfer music to your player and have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled the driver follow the procedure to confirm that the player is recognized by the computer as an MTP device.

You may access these steps in the next link: 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30991/p/57784,59687,59925,80740/c/65,66/kw/wont%20....

You may also access the help guide for additional troubleshooting steps to follow:

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/portable/NWZ-E383_E384_E385_guide/en/contents/08/01/01/01.html

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook