Walkman Players

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 23 (4,836 Views)

Feature Request: Last.FM Scrobbling

Hello!

I've been happily using my NWZ-A17 since late November 2014, using it primarily with FLAC files. I don't really use the MediaGo software as I find dragging and dropping my music files is pretty straightforward.

As a music lover (hence the reason why I purchased the A17!), one feature which I would love to see implemented is the ability to Scrobble to Last.FM, and in doing so, discover new music.

What is Last.FM and Scrobbling? See here:

http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=99

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last.fm

There are currently at least two 3rd party software programs which can Scrobble to Last.FM. Some users have reported compatibility with older Sony MP3 Walkmans (such as the NWZ-S545):

http://www.last.fm/group/Zenses

http://www.last.fm/group/QTScrobbler

Unfortunately, neither Zenses nor QTScrobbler are able to recognize my NWZ-A17 (using Windows 8.1).

From what I understand, the NWZ-A17 needs to maintain a logfile of tracks listened to, along with the date and time. That should be sufficient to allow one of the two aforementioned programs to upload the information to Last.FM.

I would love to see this feature implemented in a future firmware update.

Thanks in advance!

Apprentice
Message 2 of 23 (4,823 Views)

Re: Feature Request: Last.FM Scrobbling

Here is a link to some more information describing the file format required tfor Scrobbling to Last.FM:

http://www.audioscrobbler.net/wiki/Portable_Player_Logging

Hope this helps!

Apprentice
Message 3 of 23 (4,816 Views)

OK, sorry for the third reply in as many hours!

Delving a little deeper into MediaGo, I noticed when browsing the tracks on my NWZ-A17, there are three interesting fields:

1. Play Count

2. Last Played

3. Last Started

These fields are blank for every single track in my library. It seems the only way to populate the field (ie: to log your listening habits) is to play the track through MediaGo. Obviously, this is not  a suitable solution for a portable audio device Smiley Wink

Interestingly, the information is not saved in the portable player, only on the computer, via MediaGo. For instance, using MediaMonkey to browse the contents of the player, there is no record that the tracks were ever played through MediaGo.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 23 (4,800 Views)

Hi Stymie,

Thanks for posting this. I'm currently very interested in buying this device, but the problem of not scrobbling to Last.FM is what's holding me back. I was hoping I'd be able to scrobble using Zenses or QTScrobbler, but your experience suggests it does not work.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 23 (4,788 Views)

Hey Albion, glad to see another Scrobbler!

In my hands, both Zenses and QTScrobbler fail to recognize the NWZ-A17. It is formally possible that I am doing something wrong, so if you have any insights I'd be happy to hear/try them. I played around with different ways of connecting my device to the computer, as well as different computers (Windows 7 vs 8.1), with no success.

That NWZ-A17 track counts are not being uploaded/recognized by MusicGo makes me suspect the device itself is not recording this data at all, so Zenses et al have nothing to work with. Hopefully if there is sufficient interest that Sony may consider incorporating this feature in a future firmware update.

In the meantime, I have been using the Universal Scrobbler with good success:

http://universalscrobbler.invitationstation.org/

I typically listen to albums start-to-finish, so it is just a matter of keeping a note of what I listen to during the day and Scrobbling it. If you listen to playlists/random mixes, then Universal Scrobbler would be pretty tedious.

Cheers!

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 23 (4,782 Views)

Hi Stymie,

I haven't purchased the A17 yet, and I'm currently an iPod user, so I can't give you any pointers on what you might be doing wrong (if anything). From my reading on it, it seems Zenses acts as a 'bridge' between the player and the scrobbler. I remember reading that Zenses invents a timestamp for the plays detected in order for the scrobbler client to accept the playcount.

So, from this - you need to use both Zenses and the client together?

Albion.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 23 (4,772 Views)

Hey Albion,

I think you are right about Zenses inventing a timestamp, at least for some DAPs (Creative Zen I think?). Zenses also requires the DAP to log the number of times a track is played.

From what I can tell, the NWZ-A17 logs neither of these data, which I must assume is why Zenses and QTScrobbler fail to recognize the device. The NWZ-A17 does keep track of the date and time, so this information should be fairly easily to log.

Cheers!

Apprentice
Message 8 of 23 (4,740 Views)

Just a gentle bump to the top of the heap. Any developments, Sony peeps??

Rookie
Message 9 of 23 (4,722 Views)

I recently bought hte NWZ-A17 and it does everything I want from a music player except scrobble. 

I have a large music collection and wanted something to replace my 120Gig ipod classic. It didnt occur ot me to check if I could scrobble tracks until after I bought it. 

I like to listen to music while i workout and am not always looking at the screen. Every once and a while some tracks will come on that i haven't hear in a while its nice to be able to scrobble the tracks and have a record of what I listened to so I can easily find tracks I want ot listen to again. There is no way for me to remember all the tracks i heard over a multi hour bike ride. 

If the scrobbling feature was added the NWZ-A17 would almost be the perfect device for all my needs. My ipod does have better integration with my car's infotainment system but I spend most of my time driving listening to sattellite radio so its not that big of a deal.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 10 of 23 (4,196 Views)

[ Edited ]

Another bump...Universal Scrobbler is nice, but built-in Scrobbling would be much preferred.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook