Walkman Players

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (589 Views)

NWZ-E585 can't hold more than about 1Gb of music

Hello,

I bought a Sony Walkman NWZ-E585, which is claimed to have 16Gb of memory. I connected it to my PC (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with all updates) and used File Explorer to navigate to the device. I started copying mp3 files over, but after a while, the copy just stopped. I didn't get any error messages, nor did File Explorer stop responding, but the dialog that showed the file copy stopped updating.

Eventually I had to kill the File Explorer, and reset the Walkman, as it had stopped responding. I tried again severla times, but got the same thing every time.

I returned the Walkman as faulty, and was sent a replacement. Sadly, exactly the same thing happened with the new one.

There is defintely nothing wrong with the mp3 files, nor with my PC. We have quite a few mp3 players (including a Walkman NWZ-A15) in the house, and these mp3 files have been copied on to them without problem. The files that do copy over to the NWZ-E585 play fine.

If I look at the device in File Manager, it claims to have a capacity of 13.9Gb, which seems rather low given that it's supposed to have 16Gb (I know you never get the full amount, but 13.9Gb seems too low).

I have been in touch with Sony support, but that has been a frustrating experience. Their only advice was to send the device to a repair centre. As this is a brand new device, I don't see why I should need to do that. Given that two have had exactly the same issue, it doesn't seem like I got a faulty one.

I did wonder if it was a fake, but don't know how to tell. I asked Sony, who said that it was genuine, based on the serial number that I supplied. I pointed out that anyone faking the device would copy a genuine serial number, so I didn't see how that was any proof, but they were as unhelpful on that point as on every other.

Anyone any ideas? I'm somewhat fed up of the whole business, ahving wasted a few weeks on this now.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Message 2 of 4 (585 Views)

Re: NWZ-E585 can't hold more than about 1Gb of music

Hi AvrohomYisroel,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Greetings and thank you for your message. On this site, we are able to provide assistance for customers in North America. For further assistance regarding your product, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/
>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (583 Views)

Thanks, but as I said in my post, I have had a corrspondence with Sony support about this, and they have been exceptionally unhelpful. They generally don't bother reading what I write, but just send irrelevant links to the (rather poor) online manual.

As I said, their only suggestion was to send the device off for repair. If that's my only option, then I woudl rather return it for a refund and buy another player (not a Sony based on my poor experience)

I was hoping someone from the community might be more helpful. If you have anything useful to offer, I would be very grateful to hear it, but advising me to contact your pathetic support is not what I woudl call useful.

Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. I had a few support cases with them on the other Walkman, and found them to be utterly hopeless. They excelled themselves in being useless with this second device.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 4 (531 Views)

In case it helps anyone, I discovered that the problem is simply that the device doesn't work well with Windows 10. I tried it on a Windows 7 machine, and it worked fine. I then tried it on another Windows 10 machine, and it showed the same problem as on my main machine.

So, unless Sony support can come up with some solution to this, I guess it's going back. Pretty poor that it doesn't work on Windows 10. Not exactly rocket science to do it. I'm a professional software developer by the way, so I do understand how these things work.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook