Welcome to the Community!

Webcast Discussion

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 61 (15,275 Views)

MDR-1000X Headband Cracks

I have had my MDR-1000X headphones for a month and a half, and used them only 2 times. Last week I noticed a small crack on the left side of the headband where it meets the left side ear cup. I called Sony and they said they had never heard of this issue and said if it didn't hamper the normal operation of the headphones, there is nothing they would do for me. I explained to them that yes, while I can still use them, there is definitely something wrong with the workmanship, and it will only be a matter of time before they fall apart. Well this week, after just one more use, the crack on the left side has gotten much worse, and a small crack has now appeared on the right side of the headband in the same location where it meets the right side ear cup. I can't believe after paying $398 and using them only 3 times, Sony will not stand behind their product and help me to get this repaired. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE these headphones, but I am very surprised how horrible the custom service was to me. Is there anyone else out there that has had this problem??

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 61 (14,857 Views)

Re: MDR-1000X Headband Cracks

same happend to mine.

i bought it in february and use it almost every day.

just noticed a crack on the left side exactly where the join is.

will try to claim tomorrow at the dealer where i bought it.

Rookie
Message 3 of 61 (14,831 Views)

I have had the same problem. I have owned a pair of these headphones for just 2 weeks and thanks to you I noticed that they have developed a crack on the left side, right next to the left ear cup joint. Sony cannot deny that their product is faulty. I have even read similar complaints by Sony customers on Amazon. They sound great but the plastic design was definitely a bad idea. I just returned mine to the store I bought them and they will forward them to Sony for 'repair' or replacement. If Sony refuses to replace them I will NEVER buy a Sony product ever again and I will toss the cracked MDR 1000x into the garbage because it's not about the money it's about principle. They have to respect me enough not to make me waste 380 euros
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 61 (14,812 Views)

could it be that only the beige version/material is affected?

please confirm your color, mine is beige.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 61 (14,794 Views)

Hey Webmax!

Mine were black so it sounds like they are having the same problem with both colors! Hopefully they will finally realize this is a problem and fix it for all future customers. Too bad they did absolutley nothing for me. They refused to fix it, or replace it after only being purchased for less than 45 days!

Rookie
Message 6 of 61 (13,836 Views)

I've the same issues as others on this thread - a crack on the left side of the headphone in less than a month. I have the Black version. It's weakness of material is such that a few days more, after noticing the initial crack, the damage is much worse and that's being very careful; not that I wasn't before given how expensive these cans are. When I brought it to the attention of the online Sony UK rep, he practically accused me of lying on how the damage was done - had to put him straight about that! Anyway, he said it had to be sent to their service centre where an engineer will be judge and jury on whether I caused the damage or not, and determine whether a replacement is merited or that I pay for a repair. So much for warranties eh?!!
Message 7 of 61 (13,787 Views)

Hi Jeevesy,

Thank you for visiting the SONY Community!

Greetings and thank you for your message. On this site we are able to provide assistance for customers in North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific. For further assistance regarding your product, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,

~Erin

Apprentice
Message 8 of 61 (13,384 Views)

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the club.  Call them again and show them this accumulation of threads if they say they've never heard of the problem:

htt p**ww. ozb***.co m.**/no**/30 9**

For what it's worth, I've called a few times and they told me they use the best material (when is plastic the best material?) hence, it's my fault.  

That's the kind of quality and customer service that has made it my mission to tell everyone I know and everyone I see ask on headphone forums about sony headphones.  Had they just said "Send them in and we'll reimburse you" it could have ended with "Yeah, but they had great customer service so I wouldn't hestitate buying from them again."

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 61 (13,041 Views)

I bought this headphone last week, and I just saw this discussion. I am not sure whether return it or not.

I saw this under amazon's QA: https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx3B14MFP8LME6K/1?source&asin=B01KHZ4ZYY. Looks like they believe that your case is under warranty.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 61 (12,887 Views)

[ Edited ]

mine have also cracked after purchasing in march. they are charging me 28£ to inspect it to find out how much it will cost to repair. i was told a previous headband replacement on the same unit cost 330£. i have told them the abundance of posts online of cracks but they refuse to acknowledge this, the person on the phone just reads me some script about how it's made from "premium material" so cannot break and it must be my fault 

link to crack

their customer service is insulting, i dont even mind paying a modest fee for a repair but they are charging me the cost of a new pair which is ridiculous 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook