Welcome to the Community!

Webcast Discussion

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 12 (5,278 Views)

Sony WH-1000xm2 - Headband crack returns on the new model

I currently own the WH-1000xm2 head phones. I have just noticed that they have started cracking around the left side head band by the folding mechanism. see pics below. This is very disappointing, and I suspect is down to the same design as the previous MDR-1000 model, which I also have owned and experianced the same cracking issues. I use these with utmost care, and rarely fold them to store in the case knowing that they may succumb to any cracks.

I will be sending these back for a warranty claim and possibly swap for the Bose QC35ii. Sony needs to redesign the headband altogether to ensure this does not happen in any future models, as 2nd model in a row to have this headband crack is unforgiveable.

P1010009-min.JPGP1010010-min.JPG

P1010007-min.JPG

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 12 (3,689 Views)

Re: Sony WH-1000xm2 - Headband crack returns on the new model

[ Edited ]

Same here, hasn't cracked open yet but started. I am afraid eventually it will. I was confident buying WH, I thought Sony would  handle the headband issue. Shame, too bad for a good headset.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12 (3,503 Views)

Have had the headpones back from Sony. They have repaired the unit as opposed to replacing the whole unit. Took about 2 weeks. Hopefully will last a bit longer this time. 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 12 (3,489 Views)

Keep us posted if it happens again. I've had mine a month now and so far so good.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12 (1,174 Views)

Sony won't even repair mine for me for free. 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 12 (1,171 Views)

Did you go direct to Sony? In my experiance, always go back to retailer for the warranty claim, rather than manufacturer. Thats how I got my headpones fixed, via retailer who sent it off to Sony, as far as they told me. Did the same thing with a HTC phone. HTC wouldnt fix my phone, but my retailer would.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 12 (1,169 Views)

I did. Maybe I will have to bring my headphones back to Bestbuy. However, Sony did tell me "physical damage isn't covered under warranty".

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 12 (1,165 Views)

This is a manufacturing defect in my eyes and in the past, Sony's eyes for the MDR1000x model, as noted in the forums here on this site. I'd see if you can get a moderator here to back you up for a warranty claim if no sucess with Best Buy. I'm from the UK, so you may run into different poilices depending on where you are.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 12 (1,014 Views)

[ Edited ]

DWillyS ;    This is not a physical damage, it's a known design flaw that riuned it's predecessor model the MDR-1000X for tens of thousands of users. This is the same design that did not change, but Sony publicly declared on many forums as an answer that they modified the headband for WH, i.e. they indirectly acknowledged the issue, but they only changed the plastic material to a slightly different one,  which looks like will crack the same way. 

Sony has repaired both the MDR and the WH free of charge but only in a few countries where they were forced by  the firm consumer law. Unless the retailer gives you refund or you can apply the consumer law against the maker through a state agency that is responsible to force makers to abide by the law,  your case is hopeless. So mine.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 12 (667 Views)

ijEhbz6x.jpgSo, as everybody, i also got the cracking issue on my MDR-1000X.

Now, less than 4 months that i have my WH-1000XM2, i have the metallic headband that is craking ! It's not a scratch. 

Sony really ****** ****** ! I don't even know if they will repare or not my headphone... I'm sure they will charge me like 300€ 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook