Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
gasper91
Accepted Solution

Black Screen with cursor on Start up

Hello,

I bought my sony VAIO S Series about a month ago, Windows 8 was stock.

I came back from class and the computer wasn't finding any wireless networks.  In fact it still seemed to "see" the networks that I was using earlier (I was 15 miles away from that area).  So I decided it was just some little bug and restarted my computer (the correct way).  On restart it said it needed to scan the C drive and took aobut an hour to complete the scan.  After that it automatically restart and went to a black screen.  When I move the mouse the cursor moves and the backlit keyboard lights up, but that's all I can do.  I cannot press any function keys to get to a boot screen.  

When I restart the laptop, the VAIO letters do appear for a few seconds like normal but after that it goes back to the black screen.  

Any tips? 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
hagglund

Re: Black Screen with cursor on Start up

Try rebooting the machine.  The moment you see the Vaio logo, start tapping the F10 key repeatedly until you see some recovery options.  If you get the option "restart in last known good configuration" try that.  Or "restart in safe mode."  If those options aren't available, you may be able to recover the operating system, but be advised that if you do a full factory-fresh reinstallation of Windows 8, you may lose any data (music, documents, pictures, videos) you've added.  Hopefully you've previously backed all the important stuff up.  If you haven't, you may be able to use safe mode long enough to dump your documents folder to a USB jump drive.

In any case, try the F10 tapping on reboot just to see if the machine responds.  I end up tapping 8 or 9 times rapidly before the machine switches into the recovery mode.  And once in that mode, you can always hit the "escape" key rather than "enter" to avoid starting the Windows reinstallation, if you aren't ready.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

[ Edited ]

Hello Gasper.

Did you try connecting an external display to the computer? If it is working fine, the issue may be with the display backlight and the service will be required. If the issue persists on the external display, follow all the steps mentioned here: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30527/c/65,66/kw/30527

To troubleshoot the black screen issue, follow all the steps mentioned here: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37659/c/65,66/kw/37659

If the issue persists, contact Sony Service Assistance Team here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
gasper91

Thanks for the help!

I had no idea what the assist button was for (I switched over from a Fujitsu.) That being said I'm not sure if it will work yet but I am currently "Refreshing the PC".  I'll be sure to mark hte post if it works.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
gasper91

[ Edited ]

So here's an update:

The Refresh worked! To an extent that is.

Once the Refresh finished, it took me to a screen showing two windows 8 icons that were identical to choose from.  After a few minutes of pondering I just picked one.  It took me to a log in screen, where it new my username and password, and logged me in.  It seemed like some of the information was there but not all of it.  My background was solid black which it was not before.

Google chrome and the rest of my shortcuts on the taskbar are gone besides IE9 and the file folder.  

The whole thing seemed a little bit off...  so I went ahead and shut down the laptop and restarted it.  

Upon logging into my account this second time.  

These error messages were already there, 2 of them, saying the same thing.

The window is called RunDLL and the messages says:

"There was a problem starting

The specified module could not be found"

Also when I click the windows key on the keyboard, usually a large number of apps and processes were shown.   Now hen I do it, I get the Start menus with only 3 apps, Desktop, Internet Explorer, Store.

It connected to the internet fine even though I haven't tried to do much else yet.  I'm in a sticky position right now, I'm worried something may be wrong still and debating whether I should use the full System Restore option that was next to the System Refresh.  

Opinions? Avice? Sorry to keep this thread going, I don't want to quite call it Answered yet.

Also for anyone that may think they are in the same situation as me the link I used to find out how to refresh the PC was found here: Perform a System Refresh

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
hagglund

[ Edited ]

Well, I'm glad you've gained your monitor screen again.  That's a step in the right direction.  Make sure you've rebooted the machine using "restart" and not just powered down and powered back up manually.  The reason is that Win8, for the first time in any Windows version, sometimes doesn't really reboot unless you use the "restart" command.  When you power down, the machine really goes into hibernation so that it can boot up with blazing speed--it's the same trick Apple's been using for years.

The missing Google Chrome and other missing stuff may be what happens when the OS is "refreshed"--I've never refreshed, so I can't advise you.  But it makes sense that a Windows refresh would clear off anything that isn't stock Microsoft, as the only reason someone would refresh is that something (like your blank screen) had gone so seriously wrong that you'd bother doing that. 

Did the RunDLL errors specify what programs or services were acting up? You write that the errors say "the specified module cannot be found".  Does it give you any indication what's missing from where?

Of course, at this point, the easiest and quickest thing to do might be a full recovery back to factory fresh.  Sometimes starting over is better than chasing little problems for weeks.  Just know that you'll spend some time having to redownload Microsoft updates and whatever software apps you own.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Hi Gasper.

I suggest you to go further and perform the system reset following all the steps mentioned here: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1034518

Next, perform a complete system recovery to restore your computer to the factory settings: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1031321

Note: It is required to take backup of all the data before performing the system reset or recovery as it may erase everything from the computer.

If the issue persists, contact Sony Service Assistance Team to initiate the service.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ktakana

Hi, 

I have the same problem but I'm not able to access the links that you provided to resolve the problem.  Is there another place to access the information?

Please use plain text.
NickT

ktakana wrote:

Hi, 

I have the same problem but I'm not able to access the links that you provided to resolve the problem.  Is there another place to access the information?

Hi ktakana,

Sorry about that.  Please try the following steps from above.  But before doing so, make sure to back up data either locally or call DriveSavers that are important.

The computer starts to a blank screen, freezes or stops at a blue or black screen, or random restarts for Windows 7 or for Windows 8

Nick-

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
wb48855

I'm having the same problem but F10 did not work. How can the display be bad if you see the Vaio on reboot? This problem also occurred right after an update.
Please use plain text.