Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
CHarris
Accepted Solution

Disable a Touch Pad

I have loaded Windows 8 on my Sony Vaio VPCEA24FM and I cannot disable the touchpad.  None of the standard fixes for Windows 7 will work nor is Win8 solutions available.  Help!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
karlhavens

Re: Disable a Touch Pad

I have the same issue, and this along with other concerns led me to a decision to stick with Windows 7. I have a VAIO Z-series. I tried to install Windows 8 today, and the diagnostics said to uninstall the touch pad. It won't work -- not even if you go into your VAIO control center and disable the touch pad. Then I noticed on the SONY website that all the VAIO laptops now come with Windows 8 EXCEPT the Z series, so I presume it does not have the necessary drivers, OR they are going to phase out the Z series ... anyway, this along with concerns about functionality with and without a docking station led me to wonder about this change.

For your computer, the only issue might be that you need to go into the VAIO control center and disable the touch pad. You cannot uninstall a driver if the 'program' is running.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
hagglund

On my "Z" VPCZ21AGX, the F1+FN function keys toggle the trackpad on and off.  It didn't work after the Win8 install until I installed the Win7 software from Sony's support downloads page for "Sony Shared Library" and "Sony Extension Parser Device Driver".  This also enabled the F2-F6 audio and brightness function keys for me. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Phynomtalk

I had a similar issue. I have a VPCF12AFM...I think the F-Series. Navigate to your 'Device Manager' in the Control Panel. Scroll down to 'Mice and other pointing devices'. If you see that you have the Alps Pointing Device, try uninstalling it, not disabling it. Why Sony choose to use this second rate touch pad is beyond me, but I was able to get Windows 8 Pro installed. However, bear in mind that you will not be able to use the touch gestures in Windows 8 with the Alps Pointing Device until Sony decides to update the driver for this device in Sony laptops. I have seen the update for Dell laptops using the Alps Touch Pad, and I have to tried to use that driver for my machine, but the Dell driver simply did not detect the touch pad.

I can't remember where in the process it occured, but when I began installing Windows 8, at some point duriing the install, it gave me this neat little list of things I needed to uninstall in order for the installation to continue. I am not referring to thelist provided after running the Upgrade Assistant. Hope this helps!

I am still looking for work arounds. One option is to get the Logitech Touch Pad thingie, which is supposed to give you all those gestures for the true Windows 8 experience.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
ck1220

Did you happen to download update for Synaptics® PS/2 Port TouchPad?

I noticed that once I installed this update, FN+F1 was no longger toggling between ON and OFF, Synaptics Pointing Device Driver entry was gone from Control Panel (uninstall program lists), and touchpad was set to ON every time I re-boot my laptop even though I set to OFF before logging off.

I deleted this update and reinstall original driver and everything was back to normal.

To delete current driver: press windows logo button and R to open RUN window.  Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open Device Manager window. Expand Mice and other pointing devices. Right click on Synaptics PS/2 Port something...and select uninstall.  You might have to restart your laptop at this point.

Then download original Synaptic driver from here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER (enter your model number and etc.)

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
athithyanac

Here's the drivers for you laptop VPCZ21AGX/B

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCZ21AGXB&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/d...

Insall Shared library, Firmware parser and notebook utility from the above link'll resolve all probz regarding Fn key.

Please let me know whether this helped you or not

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
smtars

My Laptop is a VPCF226FM and the fn keys does not work, somebody can help me?

Please use plain text.
NickT

Hi smtars,

Please reinstall the notebook utilities software from link below.  This will reinstall the hotkey function for the FN to work. 

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VPCF226FM&upd_id=6635&os_group_id=6

Nick-

smtars wrote:

My Laptop is a VPCF226FM and the fn keys does not work, somebody can help me?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
smtars

thanks for the help, but can you help me again?

I want to make a correctly installation of the drivers.

to start, I uninstalled all the drivers (even NVIDIA Graphics card).

Now, I want to know what is the correct order of the drivers to make the fn keys work.

I already download the driver Sony® Notebook Utilities of you mencioned.

remembering, my laptop is a VAIO VPCF226FM..

Please use plain text.
NickT

Hi smtars,

I do not know what operating system you are running.  Are we doing a clean install of windows?  If so, please check links below for the Windows 7 or Windows 8 for the drivers installation. 

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=507    -Windows 7

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1202      -Windows 8

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCF226FM&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=download#/downl...   -Drivers

Nick-

smtars wrote:

thanks for the help, but can you help me again?

I want to make a correctly installation of the drivers.

to start, I uninstalled all the drivers (even NVIDIA Graphics card).

Now, I want to know what is the correct order of the drivers to make the fn keys work.

I already download the driver Sony® Notebook Utilities of you mencioned.

remembering, my laptop is a VAIO VPCF226FM..

Please use plain text.