Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
Taylor
Accepted Solution

Disable touchpad with mouse connected

Sony Vaio SVE1712CXB

How can I disable the touchpad when a mouse if connected?  I have looked all through the settings and cannot find anyway to do it.  Any help is appreciated!!  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
tdurden

Re: Disable touchpad with mouse connected

Some VAIOs have a keyboard switch to turn off the touchpad.  Look at the F1 key on your keyboard, if you see an icon of a touchpad with an x on the F1 key, you can use this to quickly turn the touchpad off or on.  Just hold down the Fn key on the keyboard, and press F1 while holding the Fn key down.  Now your touchpad is off.  Hold Fn and press F1 again, and the touchpad is back on.  If you don't have that feature, you can just copy a shortcut onto your desktop from the Mouse settings in Windows Control Panel, and inside the mouse settings, you should find a settings tab with a Disable button on it.  Click it to turn your touchpad off or on.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Taylor

I do have the F1 and Fn key to disable the touchpad.  Not sure why I didnt see it before.

For some reason, not matter which combonation I use, the Fn+F1 will not cut it off.  Strange.

And I am unsure about how to copy the shortcut you mentioned in Control Panel.  

The mouse settings have nothing I see that allows me to disable the touchpad.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
tdurden

You should be able to turn it off from an app called vaio control center.  Hold the Windows key while pressing the C key to open charms, and click the search charm to type in vaio control.  You should find the vaio control center.  In vaio control, click mouse, and there should be a button you can switch on and off to turn the touchpad on and off.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Hello Taylor,

The options under the Mouse Properties in the Control Panel may not be displayed because of the driver conflicts.

In this case, I suggest you to download and install the Touchpad Driver by putting the exact model # of your computer here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

Then, follow the steps suggested by “Tdurden” to disable the touchpad.

Regards,

Miguael

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Taylor

I downloaded the driver, but in Vaio Control there is no option to adjust the mouse settings.

I think my biggest question is why the Fn+F1 do not work as intended, although the other Fn keys seem to work properly.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
firas911

I have the same problem.

In fact, the option (enable/disable touchpad) via "vaio control center" does not exist in last version windows 8 compatible.

And there is no Fn key corresponding (VPC-EB model)

and finally no option in control panel

So now there is no solution :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

[ Edited ]

Hello Tyler.

Please get back with the exact model # of your computer, so that we can check if there is any update available regarding the issue. Locate the model # here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=264

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

[ Edited ]

Hello Firas,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

VPC-EB model computers are not supported for the Windows 8 Operating System. However, you may install it but Sony will not provide any support for the same.

Select the exact model # of your computer here and go through the information provided: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/os8upgrade.pl

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
tinman

The virtual scrolling feature on the built-in touchpad just started working and i do not have any control pad settings to disable it.  I use windows 8, and seldom use a mouse.  It is almost impossible to type without putting cardboard over over the touch pad.  This is bad design.  Is there a fix for this?

Please use plain text.