Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
wendersonsoares
Accepted Solution

Disk usage in 100% with Windows 8

I just bought a brand new sony vaio with windows 8 and my task manager is accusing of being a 100% disk usage for the disk.

The sum of all process are less than 10%, but tha disk usage still high at 100%.

My sony vaio being really slow due to this problem.

I`d like to know the process to solve this problem.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: Disk usage in 100% with Windows 8

Hello Wenderson,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I suggest you to check if there is any BIOS Update Utility is available on the support page regarding the performance issue in your computer.

You can check for the update by putting the exact model # of your computer here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

You can get back with the exact model # of your computer with the issue in detail. Locate the model # here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=264

Regards,

Miguael

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
alexxxander

I have the same issue. It looks like since I upgraded to window 8 I've had all sorts of issues. Please advice of associated solution for this problem. My laptop show 100% disk usage and has become to slow.

Please use plain text.
JoelP

Hello, Alexxander.

Try going with a clean boot, to see if something loading in the background is causing excessive disk usage.  Open Task manager (Windows key + X in Windows 8) and click 'More Details' if necessary.  Click to the Startup tab and go down the list to disable all the startup items.  If you still get a lot of disk activity, try opening Resource Monitor (use the Search charm) and click to expand the disk category to check which services or programs are accesing the disk the most.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
Tamsterman

Let us know what models that you currently own?  Did you do any Windows Update recently?

Please use plain text.
JoelP

Another step is to make sure you have the latest update for the VAIO Care application.  Check on esupport.sony.com under your PC model number, go to the Drivers tab, and click the link titled 'Show updates only'.  Expand the software categories, and if there are any updates for VAIO Care, please download and install them.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
renatoachkar

I have the same problem with a New Sony Vaio SVS15115FBB. During windows update install, windows 8 start 100% disk usage and keep downloading something.

Do sony have any response?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Sasho

Hi,

I had the same problem on my new Vaio (SVS1213C5E) and after some research on the net I've found that this problem happens on several new laptops on Windows 8 (not only Vaio). Apparently it has something to do with the DVD Drive. The workaround is to Open/close the DVD drive or (more permanent) to disable it in Device Manager and re-enable it when need it.

I've tried and it worked for me.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/478935/upgraded-to-windows-8-now-constant-disk-access/?p=29...

Hope it helps.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
scrapper

I've been experiencing this issue now for 4 months since upgrading. I've checked the BIOS and it is the latest version. I've tried disabling the DVD drive and that does not work. 

I am considering doing a clean instal at this point. Does anyone know if this will solve the problem?? If its a driver issue and I end up with the same drivers installled as before, the I'm guessing I wil have the same issue and will have wasted a lot of time in the process.

Please offer a solution.

Thank you,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
scrapper

Hi, 

I just replied to the top of the thread and saw your previous question about the model number. I have a VPCEH 24FX. 

Hope you can help.

Thank you,

Chris

Please use plain text.