Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
klhermes
Accepted Solution

How do I downgrade my OEM Windows 8 to Windows 7 Profefessional? I have a new Sony Vaio laptop.

How do I downgrade my OEM Windows 8 to Windows 7 Profefessional?  I have a new Sony Vaio laptop.  MOdel SVE17125CXB

Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re: How do I downgrade my OEM Windows 8 to Windows 7 Profefessional? I have a new Sony Vaio laptop.

[ Edited ]

Currently we do not have any support for Windows 8 downgrade to Windows 7 at this moment.  We are investigating this area and drivers to see if this is possible.  We should have some kind of an update by Jan or Feb 2013 in terms of what model is eligible or not.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
brzeczek

Re: How do I downgrade my OEM Windows 8 to Windows 7 Profefessional? I have a new Sony Vaio laptop.

Could you please email me when you have the solution? I just bought a Windows 8 machine thinking it would be no problem to downgrade. Now I am stuck with Windows 8 which is definitely not what I want. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Zeitgeist

I echo the other posts: Sony SVE17125CXB deserves to loose hateful Win 8 OS. Please dear God follow up on this and let us know when Sony gets a grip on this and figures out how we can downgrade to reliable solid useable Win 7.
Please use plain text.
PeterT

We just release the Windows 7 drivers for the SVS series. Other models will go live in about 2 weeks.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
tdempsey

I wish to downgrade my new Vaio SVE17127CXB and am looking for detailed instructions and links for drivers needed. This was purchased for use at work and the design program I use will not work correctly with Windows 8 and need to either downgrade this computer or return it for one that I can downgrade. I would prefer to keep this laptop but I need to get this running on 7 for work purpose. Please let me know where I can find detailed instructions and links for drivers needed. Thank you! 

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
stevefigo

I would also like such information

if the person on sony would provide detailed information please

thanks

steve

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
z3r0sum

Below is a full text dump from my recent chat with Sony support regarding this issue.

wrote:

4:38 PM Connecting...
4:38 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
4:39 PM Support session established with Shelley - (C4UZ).
4:39 PM Transferring session to another technician...
4:39 PM Support session established with Coby - (C3RF).
4:39 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Hi. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I’m Coby.
4:39 PM Customer: 
Hey Coby I'm [EDITED]
4:40 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Juan, I see that you wish to downgrade the computer to Windows 7 operating system; am I right?
4:40 PM Customer: 
correct
4:42 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Okay, I'll help you.
4:43 PM Customer: 
great! I've been looking at what's needed in order to do this and my first question would be: does Sony provide Windows 7 Pro install media?
4:44 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
What is the version of the Windows operating system installed in the computer?
4:46 PM Customer: 
preinstalled Windows 8 Pro 64
4:48 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
I would like to forward a link to a page where you can view the Windows 7 Clean Install Instructions.
Please note that, the page that I am about to forward, will open as a new tab in your browser window.
If you wish to close the page after reading, ensure that you are just closing the tab and not the entire browser. Closing the browser window will end our chat session. Thanks.
4:48 PM Coby - (C3RF) has sent a link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1313&mdl=SVS13127PXB
Are you able to view the page?
I would like to forward a link to a page where you can view the drivers page for the computer.
4:49 PM Coby - (C3RF) has sent a link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=SVS13127PXB&LOC=3#/downloadTab
4:49 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Are you able to view the page?
4:50 PM Customer: 
I am able to view both, thanks!
4:51 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
You are welcome.
4:51 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
It was pleasure assisting you today.
4:52 PM Customer: 
wait
4:52 PM Customer: 
this does not answer my question about the windows 7 install media
4:52 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Okay, go ahead.
4:53 PM Customer: 
step 2 under "installg the operating system"
"insert the bootable windows 7 CD"
does that CD come with the laptop? I'm not sure that I have one
4:53 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Follow the instructions mentioned on the page.
4:54 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
Let me explain this to you.
According to the specifications available in the marketing specification, the computer is installed with the VAIO Care Software, present in a 10GB hidden partition.
You can create any # of recovery discs using the VAIO Care software.
4:57 PM Customer: 
even if the computer with the VAIO Care soft is a Windows 8 system will I be able to create a Windows 7 recovery disc? That would be news to me
4:59 PM Coby - (C3RF): 
As the computer is factory installed with the Windows 8 operating , you can create a Windows 8 recovery disc.
5:01 AM Customer: 
correct. How does that help me complete step 2: "insert your Windows 7 bootable CD"?
5:01 AM Coby - (C3RF): 
It is required to purchase a Windows 7 disc for the computer.
5:02 AM Customer: 
aha now we are getting somewhere
5:03 AM Customer: 
According to the End User Licensing Agreement terms, by purchasing Windows 8 Pro I have downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro. Nowhere does it say that I need to purchase a new Windows 7 install, although yes it is required to complete the installation
5:04 AM Customer: 
my question from the start has been does Sony provide the W7 install media, I take that's a "no"?
5:06 AM Coby - (C3RF): 
It is required to purchase a Windows 7 disc for the computer.
5:07 AM Coby - (C3RF): 
The computer is installed with the VAIO Care Software, present in a 10GB hidden partition with Windows 8 operating system.
5:08 AM Customer: 
yes you have already made that clear. I will take that as a "no" then
5:09 AM Customer: 
even though I'm not terribly happy about it, I have a different question about this computer perhaps you will be able to help
5:09 AM Coby - (C3RF): 
I'll help you.
5:10 AM Customer: 
I just wanted to know if this shell is compatible with the laptop: VGPAMH1E13 model number
5:10 AM Coby - (C3RF): 
I'd like to have our next level of support review what we've discussed, and assist you further.
5:11 AM Customer: 
a sales rep at the store said it wasn't, but the laptop is not listed as a premium model on sony.com
5:11 AM Customer: 
ok I can do that
5:11 AM Connection lost. Attempting reconnection...

I take this as a slap in the face and it is completely unacceptable and unprofessional.

I've worked in customer service in the past and know full well one can't have all the answers, but there's any number of ways the tech could have handled this without being a complete waste of my time and placing a massive blemish in the way Sony stands behind its products in my mind at least. Plausible deniability my ******.

Please use plain text.
PeterT

tdempsey,

Windows 7 drivers has been release for your model.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=SVE17127CXB&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/...

Select the driver tab and select Win7 as the OS.

Instructions here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1313&mdl=SVS15125CXW

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
PeterT

z3r0sum ,

appears to be a miss-communication in your chat session. I apologize. Your PC does not come with Windows 7 downgrade media. You would be required to purchase it.

You can create Recovery Media but it would be for the OS that came with your PC using the VAIO Care application

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.