Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Emerging Star
USER-971414
Accepted Solution

Microsoft USB2.0 Video webcam driver for VPCF22KFX (PCG-81312L) laptop works sporadically

[ Edited ]

While working with Windows 7 64-bit, my VPCF22KFX laptop's webcam worked perfectly.

After I upgraded to Windows 8 64-bit, the webcam worked intermittently.  The camera was recognized consistently when the battery (?) was removed followed by a reboot, showing up as a USB 2.0 video device.

After updating with Sony's Windows 8-specific update suite and Microsoft's latest OS updates, the camera stopped working completely and is no longer visible or "hidden" in the "Imaging devices" list.  Individual Sony patches for the Windows 8 64-bit did not help.  I also tried Windows 7 64-bit patches, followed up by the Windows 8 64-bit patches, but made no progress.

Which drivers should my webcam be pointing to?  The camera was working fine with Windows 7 64-bit.  The VPCF22KFX is supposed to be Windows 8-compliant per Sony:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os8upgrade.pl?&mdl=VPCF22KFXB

>>> Thanksgiving Day <<<

The webcam relies on Microsoft's ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys drivers to work.  I had installed the fresh USB2.0 Camera entry early yesterday but the ArcSoft webcam software [apparently] was somehow blocking it.  I remember removing the ArcSoft software yesterday afternoon and didn't observe any change to the device's status, but today it showed up as if nothing had ever happened.

So, to get your webcam back in order, first make sure ArcSoft webcam software has been removed from your laptop, just to be safe. Sony also published a Windows 8 64-bit removal routine that presumably takes care of the offending portion, but I haven't tested this out. 

Now, you'll need to install the >>> Microsoft <<< device driver(s) as follows:

1.  In Windows 8, got to the bottom left corner, right-click on the mini Start screen, and select Device Manager.

2.  In the top menu, click on View and select "Show hidden devices".

3.  Go to the Imaging [D]evices section and right-click on the grayed-out USB2.0 video entry (or the grayed-out entry that correponds to your internal webcam) and select "Update Driver Software".

4.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software".  Counterintuitive, but it's the right choice.

5.  Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

6.  Select Microsoft and USB Video Device.

When you're done, recheck your Device Manager entry under Imaging [D]evices. It should show up as "USB2.0 Camera".  If it's still grayed-out, reboot your laptop.

>>> The day after Thanksgiving <<<

The same drivers that worked yesterday (above) today report a Code 43 problem.  The Device Manager shows a grey-ed outUSB Video Device entry.  I shut down, rebooted and the problem was still there.  I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled it per my instructions above, and it showed up with the Code 43 problem.  I shut down and rebooted again, but the result was negative.

Guillermo
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: SOLVED: Missing webcam driver for VPCF22KFX (PCG-81312L) laptop

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

This may also be the steps to troubleshoot the issue with the webcam after upgrading to the Windows 8 Operating System with the pre-installed camera apps.

However, check back for the webcam software here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCF22KFX%20&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#... , within the next few weeks it will be posted.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
USER-971414

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying, MIguael.

The problem showed up again today.  I found out about the USBViewer tool included in the Windows 8 Development Kit and downloaded it along with the rest of the toolset. The USB Device Viewer reports that the internal USB webcam sits on USB Enhanced Host Controller 1C2D, uses Port 2 and reports itself as "USB Video Device".  The icon is marked in red (inactive) as opposed to the active blue entries.

The Port 2 description shows at the top:

[Port2]  :  USB Video Device

Is Port User Connectable:         no Is Port Debug Capable:            no Companion Port Number:            0 Companion Hub Symbolic Link Name: Protocols Supported:  USB 1.1:                         yes  USB 2.0:                         yes  USB 3.0:                         no

---===>Device Information<===--- English product name: "USB2.0 Camera"

ConnectionStatus:                  Current Config Value:              0x01  -> Device Bus Speed: High (is not SuperSpeed or higher capable) Device Address:                    0x01 Open Pipes:                           1

===>Device Descriptor<=== bLength:                           0x12 bDescriptorType:                   0x01 bcdUSB:                          0x0200 bDeviceClass:                      0xEF  -> This is a Multi-interface Function Code Device bDeviceSubClass:                   0x02  -> This is the Common Class Sub Class bDeviceProtocol:                   0x01  -> This is the Interface Association Descriptor protocol bMaxPacketSize0:                   0x40 = (64) Bytes idVendor:                        0x05CA = Ricoh Company Ltd. idProduct:                       0x18C0 bcdDevice:                       0x0732 iManufacturer:                     0x01      English (United States)  "Ricoh Company Ltd." iProduct:                          0x02      English (United States)  "USB2.0 Camera" iSerialNumber:                     0x00 bNumConfigurations:                0x01

[...]

All entries seem unremarkable except for one that reports an error:

===>Video Streaming MJPEG Format Type Descriptor<=== bLength:                           0x0B bDescriptorType:                   0x24 bDescriptorSubtype:                0x06 bFormatIndex:                      0x02 bNumFrameDescriptors:              0x07 bmFlags:                           0x00  -> Sample Size is Not Fixed bDefaultFrameIndex:                0x01 bAspectRatioX:                     0x00 bAspectRatioY:                     0x00 bmInterlaceFlags:                  0x02      D00   = 0  non-Interlaced stream or variable      D01   = 1  1 field per frame      D02   = 0  Field 1 not first      D03   = 0  Reserved      D4..5 = 0  Field patterns  -> Field 1 only      D6..7 = 0  Display Mode  -> Bob only bCopyProtect:                      0x00  -> Duplication Unrestricted *!*ERROR:  no Color Matching Descriptor for this format

That's all I got.  I'm not a device driver expert by any means, so I'm done trying to get this fixed.

Guillermo
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
USER-971414

[ Edited ]

The camera decided to work again.  Other than rebooting, nothing else has changed.

I used once again the USBView tool and found the following details, including errors and hexdump, on the webcam:

<removed by author>

Guillermo
Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re: Microsoft USB2.0 Video webcam driver for VPCF22KFX (PCG-81312L) laptop works sporadically

Confirm. User will be required to uninstall the ArcSoft application when then upgrade to Windows 8 in order to use the camera. The Start menu will have the Camera app for you to use.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
USER-971414

Re: Microsoft USB2.0 Video webcam driver for VPCF22KFX (PCG-81312L) laptop works sporadically

Not only must the original ArcSoft software be removed for the camera to work, but my experience so far is that also Microsoft's Windows 8 "Camera" software must be removed.  My guess is that the Camera app either attempts to control the camera before the camera is ready or tries to load different/conflicting drivers.  The result with MS W8 Camera on the laptop is that the physical webcam shows up in conflict and unusable.  As soon as I removed Camera (more than once) and rebooted, the problem was gone. 

I haven't had a single problem ever since.  Now, I only use Skype, IM+, and a couple of other apps, but definitely not Camera.

Guillermo
Please use plain text.
PeterT

Thank you very much for sharing your results. This will really help out others in the Community. Thank you again.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
cwatson50

I have VPCL2190x a desk top all in one with touch screen.  Since I have installed Windows 8 I can no longer edit picturew with out

having the screens turn black.  And I mean all programs.  I can get on the internet.  To correct it I have to restart the computer.  But still cannot edit in Microsoft Photogallery.  Sony has worked on it twice. 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
USER-971414

cwatson50 wrote:

I have VPCL2190x a desk top all in one with touch screen.  Since I have installed Windows 8 I can no longer edit picturew with out

having the screens turn black.  And I mean all programs.  I can get on the internet.  To correct it I have to restart the computer.  But still cannot edit in Microsoft Photogallery.  Sony has worked on it twice. 

Your problem is different from the one solved in this particular thread and your hardware is significantly different.  You should open a whole new thread under "> Windows 8" or some other section so that your issue doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Guillermo
Please use plain text.
Garage Band
algnerd

[ Edited ]

I've got the same problem, under hidden devices I don't found the Microsoft USB2.0 Webcam, but I found an unknow device

I got a VPCF24P1E

help please 

Please use plain text.