Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
JohnT
Accepted Solution

No Ethernet on VGPPRS30 docking station

Bought a new laptop this Christmas (SVS13122CXP) and docking station (VGPPRS30), for my wife's classroom and having trouble getting network connectivity using either of the ports on the docking station. Connecting directly to the laptop is not a problem. After spending 3+ hours on the phone with Sony support ( which they reloaded the Ethernet driver etc) they told me to send the dock to a repair station. Well, just got the dock back and they say it is working fine. I have searched the net for any other people having this issue but did not see anyone have a resolution. I have tried every suggested fix I could find (including re installing the Ethernet driver my self) without success. The adaptor status always says the Ethernet is disconnected. Getting very frustrated, this $200 docking station is worthless if I can not get connectivity through it! Any help, suggestions etc?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: No Ethernet on VGPPRS30 docking station

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

Try performing all the steps mentioned here to troubleshoot the issue with the Docking Station port: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C205680

If the issue persists, contact Service Assistance Team here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
JoelP

Sorry this is happening, JohnT.  Sony wants you to be able to use all features of the dock.

May I ask...do all of the other ports on the dock work properly?  There is no Ethernet card included in the dock, just a passthrough from the dock to the laptop.  And you stated that connecting Ethernet directly to the laptop network port works fine, so the Ethernet card is working fine.  The only possibility left is that the universal connector on your laptop is not working to properly connect to the dock for all of the features.

Does the port on the bottom of the laptop appear to be in good shape?  Does it appear to fit down securely onto the connector on the dock?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JohnT

All of the other ports did work, I did check the bottom, looked okay. After spending 8+ total hours with Sony support they wanted me to send the dock and laptop back to Laredo Tx, when I balked, because I had already paid to send the dock back to Sony repair they suggested I take it to a local Sony store here in SD. They had another S seres laptop that worked fine in the dock and then spent several hours reloading my laptop drivers and other software. They came to the conclusion that it was the laptop so we ordered a new one, it arrived today and seems to be working fine. Thanks for the reply, it was a very long and frustrating road and I wish Sony Support would have mentioned the local repair station a lot sooner.
Please use plain text.
JoelP

Sorry, this is a relatively new option in the interest of better customer service.  We will take steps to remind online support to recommend sending in docks along with the notebook and to recommend local repair.

Sorry it was a long process, we are working very hard to improve customer experience.  At the very least, you have proof that Sony stands behind our products and our customers.

Please use plain text.