Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
RamiS77
Accepted Solution

Unable to download Windows 8.1 update due to BIOS version not recognized

[ Edited ]

Hello there,

I have an SVD13217PAB - aka - Sony Duo 13...I am trying to download the windows 8.1 update from windows store but I face the following problems in a chronological sequence:

1) after passing the middle point in the update download long journey, the it gave a message saying that my BIOS has to be updated, though, I updated the BIOS last week.

2) shut down the download and went to Sony support link related to the subject "windows 8.1" and learned that I have to look after some driver updates and back up the system which gave me a good preparation that should've done earlier.

3) after that tried for many times to download the update, however, never make it past the 40% benchmark. every time I try to do it, the limit becomes lower until I reached the 15%.

4) alongside this problem, I face the same trouble so many people reported to you earlier about the wireless reception and how deteriorating is the signal when moving slightly from the access point.

the question is how to have the update installed and if I am lucky enough, the resolution of the vaio duo 13 wirless problem.

Thank you,

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
RamiS77

Re: Unable to download Windows 8.1 update due to BIOS version not recognized

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody

well I trried hard this time to capture the whole event after I have reached to the 60% record. It gave this message to contact the laptop manufacturer "Sony" to check capability of the BIOS to receive the update. I tried to check a newer version for the BIOS though I did that update a week ago as I said earlier, yet, the probm is persisting and I found nothing to prove me wrong. Well, the problems mentioned in my last post regarding reaching to the 30's and 20's on the download path seems to be generated due to DUO's wireless disconnections from the network. Anyways, please advice of the needful to eliminate the aforementioned problem.

Thank you,

trouble_win8.1_pic2.pngtrouble_win8.1_pic1.png

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jaymac

I'm having the exact same problem with my DUO 13.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
truplayr

Have you downloaded the updates from the US support site? They just arrived couple of days ago.

If you haven't then you either cannot update to 8.1 or will face a lot of problems after you have installed to Win 8.1.

The link to the site is:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=SVD132190X&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/d...

Hope this will solve your problems.

I hope you will tell how things went, for future reference.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
RamiS77

Hello truplayer

Thank you for your great insight..well the problem is that I reside outside the states and my computer's model is a non US model. I think I am going to wait till they have the new update available to my area (UAE), though, I know it will eventully be showing the same US update you sent to me.

Thank you again,

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
truplayr

Well in that case you can download it today at least from the uk site:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/COMP_VAIO

But as the hardware is the same worldwide except perhaps 3G / 4G LTE in reality it makes no difference from what site you download the updates.

Everything necessary can be found from the uk site as well.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
hccf1974

I am in the USA and I have exactly the same problem. I just tried reintalled the Bios driver but the system recognize that the last version is already intalled. I tried download again the Windows 8.1 and in the middle of the process a message askme for update the Bios again. I hope Sony find a solution to this Issue ASAP.

Any Ideas?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
RamiS77

Hello Truplayr

Well, Sony has finally posted their BIOS update today (R1081S7) on Asia Pacific portal. Now, the only thing left for me is to go through the wireless inconsistency caused by the Broadcom adaptor. You know the wireless problem everybody is talking about and I am still waiting as many other DUO 13 users for the resolution to be offered by Sony. Thank you again for contributing to this.

Rami,

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
RamiS77

Dear Truplayr

Guess what..mission accomplished..and I made the updates via vaio update, however, the only one I got was the NFC update...I believe Sony did not provide the new update for fastaccess posted on US and UK websites, so when I turned the face recognition the feed was throughout the rear cam..thats why I was short on completin the preparation list before installing the 8.1 update.

Another thing I want to share with you..there was unknown device recognized by VAIO care as you can see in the picture attached.device manager_other device_unknown.png

Thank you,

Rami

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
truplayr

Regarding the fast access I had the same problem, but I installed an update and that solved the problem.

I think it was from the uk site.

Before finding the update I actually contacted the developers (not 100% sure) of fast access and received a reply rather shortly, but their advice wasn't needed as the update fixed the cam problem.

What comes to the unrecognized hardwarre I had the same thing before, but I also had some few other problems like bluetooth not working, annoying sound coming from speaker etc...

So I decided to do a fresh install, and did it twice more and finally after third time it looks like things are working more or less normally, although for some reason HDMI connected to TV and AV-receiver didn't produce any sound but in total I consider this a victory as I kept doing fresh installs until I could make things function as they should.

If you haven't had the machine for too super long time, then perhaps you could consider the fresh install as an option...

Let me know as there are some precautions to be made in order to make the install and updating to 8.1 succesful

Please use plain text.