Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Occasional Contributor
USER-988030
Accepted Solution

Vaio Smart Network & Windows 8

I have installed Windows 8 PRO on my notebook SVE1511MFXS but Vaio Smart Network for Windows 8 64x doesn't work. It appears on Task Manager after I reboot, but it doesn't show on Task Bar nor Metro. If I end the process I can't open it again (have to reboot to show again).
As this notebook doesn't have a physival button to turn on wifi, I'm not able to connect through my wifi network.
Is anyone else having this issue?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
tdurden

Re: Vaio Smart Network & Windows 8

In Win8, wireless is controlled by the Windows OS. You don't need VAIO Smart Network with Win8. Uninstall it. Then, open the Settings charm in Win8, click the PC settings link at the bottom, click Wireless in the settings window, and turn on your wireless. From the Settings charm, you should find an icon that says 'Available' when your WiFi is on and there are available networks. Just click on the 'Available' icon and select the network you want to connect to.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-988030

But the option to turn Wifi on is "Grayed" on my notebook. But it has the latests drivers provided by Sony
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
tdurden

Make sure your wireless adapter is not disabled. Go to Win8 search charm, type in 'Device' without quotes, and click the Settings filter in the search charm to find Device Manager and start it up. In Device Manager, check under the Network adapter category, find your WiFi adapter, and right click it. If you have an option for 'Enable', click on that. Then you should be able to turn on wireless. If that doesn't work, download the wireless driver for your system from esupport, and before installing it, go back to your wireless adapter in Device Manager, right click it, and select 'Uninstall'. Then run the driver file from Sony to reinstall wireless.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-988030

Followed all your steps and nothing...
Actually, the driver seens to be correctly installed as wifi icon appears on my task bar, however appears as off. When I uninstalled it, the icon changed to ethernet cable.
The same happens with Bluetooth (gray bar on wireless screen) that also uses Vaio Smart Network to be turned on.

The problem really seens to be a bug with Vaio Smart Network

Edit:
I've noticed that this problems is not only with Vaio Smart Network.
Vaio Care also doesn't work.
I could intall them and nothing happens.
So this might be some incompatibility with sony's softwares
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
tdurden

Yes, VAIO Smart Network is definitely not Win8 compatible. Sony doesn't have this software posted with any of the Win8 drivers for any of their Win8 supported models. Did you use the recommended upgrade procedure? Smart Network should probably be uninstalled before upgrading. Try installing the Hotkey utility for your model, and make sure Smart network is uninstalled before installing this and rebooting. Right now, it looks like Windows 8 does not have control of the wireless card.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-988030

Actually, Vaio Smart Network is available at my notebook's driver page:
VAIO® Smart Network Software
Model:smileyfrustrated:VE1511MFXS
Operating System:Windows® 8 64-bit

So I'll definitely need to wait for it to be updated
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-988030

Almost 5 days since I installed windows 8 on my notebook (SVE1511MFXS) and still can't make Vaio Smart Network work with it.
Already made a clean install of windows three times, reinstalled Vaio Smart Network more than 10 times. Installed all drivers for windows 8 following sony's order and nothing.
1 out of 10 technicians from live support told me that sony were aware of this issue (vaio smart network not working on windows 8) and he said they'll release an update for it, but no one else were able to check this information for me (they keep saying to me to reinstall the software even after I told them how many times I did it)

All drivers seens to work pretty fine, even the wireless one (it doesn't show any exclammation mark on device manager), but as my notebook doesn't have a physival switch, I can't turn my wireless on (which is made through vaio smart care).

So my final thought is: Vaio Smart Care does NOT work with windows 8 pro.
I hope solve this issue soon...
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
stratagem

Have you had any luck with this yet? I actually downgraded from Win8 to Win7 and now I'm having the same issues you are. I can't get any wireless networks to come up. Even tho the wireless light is on Windows is telling me that the wireless is off. I've tried installing Smart Network but it will not load for me. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
muthuraj814

i also faced this problem

to solve this problem you need to remeove the battery once and reinsert it

it actually solved the issue with my blutooth and wifi

Please use plain text.