Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
kclug

Windows 8.1 will not install

I have a Sony SVT15115CXS laptop. Everytime I try to install Windows 8.1 it downloads and at 50% it starts "installing", then starts the download again. I have all the Windows and Sony updates. I have turned off my aniti-virus software, have no peripherals attached and gone into Task Manager and shut down any programs that are running in background. I have run the Windows Upgrade Assistant and it told me to deauthorize the computer from iTunes (which I did). It also told me there was an update for Intel AppUp Center. However there is no such update. No other programs show as incompatible or in need of updating.

Even after I deauthorized my computer in iTunes, I still get the same message. I have tried everything but a "clean install".  Any suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
CodySydney

Re: Windows 8.1 will not install

Cheeky answer = "Consider yourself lucky, wait 6 months till Microsoft sorts 8.1 out".
Sensible answer =  is a clean install of Win 8 an option?  Perhaps that will work.  That's what I did (still ran into a dozen issues though)

Vaio Pro SVP13213CGS
Vaio SVS15116GGB (S Series)
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
kclug

Glad to know that a clean install does not necessarily fix the problem. I was about to try that but didn't want to go to all of the trouble of reinstalling alll my applications if it doesn't work. It's ridiculous that there is not a way to download the upgrade. At least you could try different fixes without having to continually re-download the upgrade and have it fail. I refuse to purchase the upgrade to get it on disk or iso file when I'm entitled to the free upgrade. Having to get it via the App Store as the only option is crazy.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
CodySydney

I did have a problem with install not finishing on one machine, i uninstalled everything i could and off it went. Also the upgrade worked well on my S series Vaio, just my new Vaio Pro that i had to take back to 8.0 due to multiple issues. The download thing is annoying, fortunately my download quota has the room to spare! Otherwise off to starbucks :smileyhappy:
Vaio Pro SVP13213CGS
Vaio SVS15116GGB (S Series)
Please use plain text.