Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
mathans
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 Core to Professional and Product Key

Hi,

I bought my new Vaio SVE14A36CNH shipped with Windows 8 Single Language. I want to upgrade the OS to Pro to get Hyper V and other features. I know my Vaio is having a Build-in OS Key.

1. If I enter my Key for upgrade, will it update the Machine Key?

2. When I try to install fresh with Windows 8 Pro Original, it is detecting my Machine Key and throwing error as Key is not for this Product. How to over come this.

3. Is there any official Download link for Windows 8 OEM that came with my Vaio. Because I messed up my recovery partition asusual during Linux Dual boot. I struggled a lot to get back my windows to normal operating level. Any solution for this?

4. Sony Vaio Support any Offical Linux to go with without windows? Touch is far far better in Linux compared to windows 8 lol.

Please use plain text.
NickT

Re: Windows 8 Core to Professional and Product Key

[ Edited ]

Hi Mathans,

Here are the responds to your questions:

1. If I enter my Key for upgrade, will it update the Machine Key?   This will not update the machine key at all.

2. When I try to install fresh with Windows 8 Pro Original, it is detecting my Machine Key and throwing error as Key is not for this Product. How to over come this.  This is normal since you use Windows Pro media with a Windows 8 machine key. Follow these steps to perform Windows 8 upgrades. 

3. Is there any official Download link for Windows 8 OEM that came with my Vaio. Because I messed up my recovery partition asusual during Linux Dual boot. I struggled a lot to get back my windows to normal operating level. Any solution for this?  There are no download for the original OS that came with the computer.  I would first try using the Assist button to see if you can put back to factory condition.  Please check here Or purchase a set of recovery cd here.

4. Sony Vaio Support any Offical Linux to go with without windows? Touch is far far better in Linux compared to windows 8 lol.  No Linux support at this time. Perform at your own risk.

Nick-

Please use plain text.