Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
FKhyber
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 Stuck at Welcome Screen

Hi All, 

i have Sony VAIO E15 Series, last night it stuck on the welcome screen, neither the keyboard nor the mouse work to pass on login screen. restart by pressing the shutdown butten didn't work, i tryied to go to safe mode to repaire it, but couldn't go there, the F8 key didn't take me there.

Any help to resolve it would be highly aprrecaited. 

Thank  you all. :smileyhappy:

Spoiler

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
vegray

Re: Windows 8 Stuck at Welcome Screen

I have the same problem.  There was an automatic windows update yesterday and it keeps me from seeing any keyboard input!  I have a laptop that is now unusable because of this foul up.  The screen I see is the Space Needle in Seattle.  There is no cursor, just a total lock up.  I am at a loss on how to proceed to fix it!  I am alittle angry....!

Victor Gray

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
AM_itzh

Hi Victor,

Yes, this happend with my VAIO also and that too exactly after windows updates. Maybe these updates didn't install properly or it was intruptted. 

First try accessing the safe mode... shutdown the computer completely by pressing and holding the power button. 

Press the Assist button ... it should boot it to recoverymode

Then select recovery mode-> select the keyboard layout  -> next select troubleshoot ->advanced options -> startup setting ->click on the small Restart button.

The computer will restart to safe mode. If ablel  to boot in safe mode.. try a system restore.

If that didn't work try System Refresh eset and Reset before you proceed to Recovery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r1lJLniY-j8

Hope this will cool you down Victor.... :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
flmds

Hi all,

I had the same problem twice!! On the first time, I allowed Windows 8 to run an automatic update, and voilà, I got stuck on the welcome screen. Neither the keyboard nor the mouse work to pass on login screen. I called Sony brazilian support (I bought my notebook at NY, but I live at Sao Paulo) and they just told me "well, you know, it's a Windows 8 problem, there's nothing we can do about it, you'll have to reset your notebook". After that, I didn't allow Windows to make automatic updates anymore.

However, last tuesday I restarted my notebook and, once again, it got stuck on the welcome screen. Neither keyboard nor touchscreen work. This time it was not an update, I just tried to restart for any given reason.

Now I asked to Sony brazilian support and they say I have to change the keyboard and the touchscreen of my notebook!! It's unbelievable... Someone help me, please!

Best,

Fabio Lacerda

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
flmds

Can anyone tell me if this is a software problem (Windows 8) or if it is a hardware problem? I don't want to replace my keyboard, but I also don't want to make a system restore every now and then!
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
juan955

When I tried the Assist button, it does go back to the windows welcome screen, and nothing wlse happen. Is there anything else I can do. HELP
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
vegray

Tnx AM_itzh:  Assist key got me into a trouble shooting mode.  I was able to eventually push Win 8 back past the last 2 updates.  I am still very upset.  Microsofts update should not have made my VAIO into a BRICK.  Now, I am trying to run the system file checker.  I re-installed AVG anti-virus and its full scan detected a DLL that was a potential threat.  My problem is I am the only user and the administrator but running SFC /scannow under the DOS app requires I run as admin in a console.  Windows says I am admin and then says I am not!  What a messed up operating system! 

Victor E. Gray

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
spencerguenther

I also had the exact same issue and was quite PO'd. Just bought a brand new Vaio E series and just after a month this issue comes up. For the longest time when I tried to use the 'Assist' button to get into the troubleshooting mode on boot up, it wouldn't even do anything. It was only after I unplugged the laptop and removed the battery that I could get into the mode. I just recently used the refresh option and lost all my apps and settings (at least kept the files), but I still haven't reconnected to the internet again for fear that this issue will reoccur when Windows does an update. Kinda makes the operating system useless doesn't it? I'm not sure if it is Sony or Microsoft that needs to fix this problem, but when I googled it, it seems that 95% of the users experiencing this are Sony owners. I hope they get it together quick, I've got work I need to do.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
yoboss97

Same exact thing happened to me today, got big papers saved on my Vaio and can't access them because of this issue.... Never doing auto updates again

Please use plain text.
ScottF

[ Edited ]

Here’s a solution for how to get to Safe Mode in Windows 8

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37682

And, if you're not able to boot into Windows at all, here is the procedure to access Safe Mode without booting into Windows

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37848

If an update interferes with PC functionality, you should be able to boot into the troubleshooting section by using the Assist button, and from there can select the System Restore button to restore to an earlier time when the PC was working.

This same issue can also occur if you've uninstalled the Kaspersky AV application (a 30-day trial version is included on the PC).

A Solution to the Kaspersky 2013 issue can be found @:  http://support.kaspersky.com/9241

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accepted Solution".

Please use plain text.