Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
agriff53

Windows 8 Upgrade - Audio Playing but no Video when playing DVD and Blu Rays

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help.  I have recently upgraded my Vaio model number VPCEB2C5E to Windows 8 (64 bit).  This model is not supported for upgrade by Sony but as it's a Windows 7 PC I didn't think it would be too different.  The upgrade went well and all appears to work as it should with one exception.  When playing DVD's or Blu Rays disc's I get the audio track from the playback but I don't get the video.  I know that Win 8 does not have native DVD/Bluray decoding but I have the Win 8 media centre upgrade and also Nero 12 Platinum which includes full Bluray/DVD decoding.  The fact that I'm hearing audio suggests to me that the disc is being decoded, so why no video?

I was wondering if this is a known issue or if this is something unique to my setup?  I have the ATI mobile HD Radeon 5xxxx series graphics adapter.  When I play a video file from the hard disc (.MKV etc) the file plays fine with both audio and video.  

Any help would be much appreciated or indeed if anyone is experiencing the same issues would be comforting!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade - Audio Playing but no Video when playing DVD and Blu Rays

Hello Antony,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

As VPCEB2C5E model computer is not supported for the Windows 8 Operating System, Sony will not provide any software or drivers for the same. In this case, I suggest you to go back to the previously installed operating system in your computer.

Regards,

Miguael

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
JoelP

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade - Audio Playing but no Video when playing DVD and Blu Rays

[ Edited ]

agriff53,

This is a puzzling issue.  You have done what you needed to do to play DVD/BD discs.  When you installed Windows 8, did you run the upgrade install or the clean install?  Upgrade install allows you to select to keep files and settings.  Since Windows 8 does not support DVD playback, it will not import DVD codecs from Windows 7, but those should have been replaced by your Nero application.  Windows 8 Media Center allows playback of DVDs, but not Blu-ray.  I am wondering whether the codecs for Media Center and Nero are causing a conflict.  This symptom is classic of a missing video codec (so the movie disc is being decoded, but Windows is not locating the proper codec for video).  Try removing Nero and then playing just DVD with Media Center.  If it still does not work, a Windows Refresh may allow it to work.  Otherwise, try reinstalling Nero to play DVD.  You may also want to contact Nero support to see if they have any updates for conflicts with Windows 8 Media Center codec.

If the issue was caused by codec corruption during Windows 8 Media Center install, unfortunately, I don't believe there is any way to uninstall/reinstall Media Center without reinstalling the entire OS.  Please let us know if anything you try resolves the issue.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
agriff53

Hi,

Thanks for the information - I did an upgrade install.  I had similar thoughts to you - it was very odd to me that I could hear audio but not see video, as to me that means that the system is attempting to decode the disc.  

I know that officially this laptop is not supported by Sony for windows 8 upgrade but as it was built as a Windows 7 machine I thought I'd give it a go anyway with no expectations on Sony to fix any issues, so many thanks for your feedback.  I think I will format the system and do a clean install and see if I get the same issue.  

I will feedback my results when I get a few minutes to carry out the process!

Please use plain text.
JoelP

[ Edited ]

Thanks, agriff53.  If you find a solution, we can let others know about it in case anyone else experiences a similar issue.  You can always also try installing the Windows 7 drivers provided on our esupport site for your model  after installing Windows 8.  At least some of them should work.  We'd like this to be resolved so that you can play back discs in Windows 8.  We will provide any help and information that we can.

I should add that its recommended to first create your recovery media on DVD or, even better, on a USB flash drive.  Clean install of Windows 8 may remove the hidden recovery partition that allows you to reinstall the original Windows 7 OS.  But if you go into the VAIO Care application, and click into the Advanced Tools section, you'll find the wizard which will allow you to create your recovery discs (or recovery flash drive).

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
Tamsterman

Have you tried to installed origina W7 video driver to Windows 8?  It worth a try...

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Sarahnort

I had this same problem on my vpcl137fx (also not supported for Windows 8), but my system wouldn't even recognize the Blu-Ray disc drive after the upgrade. Everything else works quite fine. I, too have upgraded to Windows Media Center and downloaded the new WinDVD.

The problem is in getting to recognize the Blu-Ray drive. Any suggestions?

ssn

Please use plain text.