Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

PeterT
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 Upgrade - Troubleshooting / FAQ

[ Edited ]

Dear Community Members,

We have been looking at the top issues for Windows 8 Upgrade and we wanted to create a troubleshooting section with the top issues which also includes a solution a well.  Feel free to add additional items or post any questions that you may have.

Windows 8 - No Boot Scenario

Issue : User is unable to boot into the Windows 8 Operating System

• Troubleshooting Steps:

Step 1 – Automatic Repair

• Assist Button  --> Recover or maintain your system -->  Troubleshoot --> Advanced options -->  Automatic Repair
    Picture1.png

Step 2 – System Restore

• Assist Button--> Recover or maintain your system --> Troubleshoot --> Advanced options --> System Restore
  • Picture2.png

Step 3 – Refresh your PC

• Assist Button -->  Recover or maintain your system -->  Troubleshoot -->  Refresh your PC

Picture3.png

Step 4 – System Recovery

• Assist Button --> Recover or maintain your system --> Troubleshoot --> Recovery and maintenance

Windows 8 Upgrade - Wireless

Issue : User is unable to turn on the Wireless within the PC Setting menu

• Troubleshooting Steps:

Step 1 – Uninstall / Reinstall the Wireless Driver from eSupport

• Example:
  • Picture4.png

Step 2 – Install the Sony® Wireless State Device Driver from eSupport

Picture5.png

SVL2311, SVS1311, SVS13A1, SVS1511, SVZ1311, SVE14A1, SVE1411, SVE1511, SVE1711, SVE1111, SVT1311, SVT1111 series

Windows 8 Upgrade – DVD Playback

Issue : User is unable to turn playback DVD after upgrading to Windows 8 & didn’t purchase the USB supplemental media

• Root Cause:

Sony cannot provide PowerDVD software via eSupport due to re-distribution license issue

Sony can only the PowerDVD software to end user who purchase the USB supplemental media and perform an upgrade to Windows 8

• Work Around

Microsoft is currently offering Media Center Edition for Windows 8 Pro for free (limited time) – Expires January 31st 2013

Purchase the VAIO Upgrade Tool via 8GB USB ($19.99 for US)

Picture6.png

Windows 8 Upgrade – ATI Driver

Issue

• User upgraded to Windows 8 and the ATI driver is missing for the hybrid graphics model

Affected Model

• VPCSA, VPCSB, VPCSC, VPCSE series
  • VPCCB series

Sustaining Comment

• Please visit eSupport website.  The ATI driver can be downloaded from esupport.sony.com or by using the VAIO Update software

Note : User will not be able to switch to Speed Mode for the VPCSA, VPCSB, VPCSC, and VPCSE series until the ATI driver has been installed

Windows 8 Upgrade – VAIO Update

• Issue
    • User upgraded to Windows 8 and the VAIO Update application no longer works
    • Affected Model
      • All eligible models for Windows 8 Upgrade

Picture7.png

• Sustaining Comment
        • Please uninstall VAIO Update and then install the latest version of VAIO Update on the eSupport website

Windows 8 Upgrade – Battery Error Message

• Issue
    • User upgraded to Windows 8 and receives an error that the Battery is not compatible

• Sustaining Comment
      • Option 1
        • Please inform the user to install the latest version of the Battery Checker Software on the eSupport website

Picture8.png

• Option 2
        •   

• Disable ISB Utility from Task Manager -->More Details  -->Startup tab --> ISB Utility Disable
          •   

9.PNG

Windows 8 Upgrade – Camera

• Issue
    • User upgraded to Windows 8 and now the Camera does not work
    • Sustaining Comment
      • Please make sure to manually uninstall the ArcSoft application.  The user will receive an message that the Camera is in used using the “Camera” software if the ArcSoft application is still present on the PC after upgrading to Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade - Yellow Bang / Unknown Device in Device Manager

1. Launch the Device Manager
  2. Right Click on the unknown device and select properties
  3. Select the "Details" tab
  4. Select "Hardware IDs" within the Property option
  5. Take a screen shot
  6. Create a New Post and input the screen shot onto that new post
  7. This will allow the moderator or other community member to asist you to understand which component is required to be downloaded and installed

Example:

HWID.PNG

Windows 8 Upgrade - Function Keys

Issue : The function key does not work after upgrading to Windows 8

• Troubleshooting Steps:
  • Install the Sony Share library
  • Uninstall VAIO Control Center from the "Uninstall a program" utility
  • Install the VAIO Control Center for Windows 8 on eSupport.sony.com 
  • Make sure that you install the Video driver to control the Brightness control
  • Make sure that you install the Audio driver to control the volume and mute keys

If you function key does not work then Please downloadload the attachment by following the below steps:

1) Right Click on "Win8-Function Keys.png"

2) Select "Save Target as.."

3) Choose the location that you want to save the file

4) Change the "Save as type" from "PNG Image" to "All Files"

5) Change the file name from "Win8-Function Keys.png" to Win8-Function Keys.diagcab"

This is a troubleshooter that I just created that will create a log file for some key components on your PC.  Create a new POST and paste your log files onto that new post within the Windows 8 Category.

Mine looks like this:

Model Name = VPCSE290X
VAIO Control Center Version = 6.0.1.08290
VESStaminaSwitch Version = 6.0.1.08220
VESPerformanceSwitch Version = 6.0.0.08170
Sony Firmware Extension Parser = 8.0.1.1112
Video Card Driver Name = Microsoft Basic Render Driver Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6630M
Video Card Driver Version = 9.1.0.0 9.1.0.0

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade - Troubleshooting / FAQ

Here is the download link for the VAIO Upgrade Tool - Lite version :

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=8153&SMB=YES

This tool will only install drivers and software for you automatically for eligible model series.  This tool will not install 3rd party software such as PowerDVD/BD

Picture7.png

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
ihnestorenko

Hi any suggestion to fix the Unknow device issue for webcam ? my model is vpcsa35gb thanks

Please use plain text.
PeterT

Uninstall arc soft software and then reboot your pc. This is mention in the win troubleshooting thread.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
m6255

I have a VPCF2276FM I installed Windows 8 upgrade Pro 64 bit. During install of Win 8 My Broadcom Bluetooth driver was installed. Sony Support says I will not have Bluetooth With Windows 8. This is a major function for me. Sony says my computer less than one year old is compatible with win 8 Can anyone help with this. I have blue tooth with a Logitech Bluetooth dongle but who wants that? Loose a USB space and its not reliable

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
ihnestorenko

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, so some interesting points that I´ve found about this issue.

1. I´ve installed from scratch the Windows 8, so I don´t have that software to uninstall

2; The problem just happen if I shutdown or hybernate the OS and try to put back by Batery, using AC I don´t have any problem

3. The only way that I´ve found to put my webcam back to work is remove the Batery and the AC cable and start the Windows again

4. Just removed the Hybernation from OS command pront powercfg /h off, so looks like the issue was fixed

I think the Sony needs to provide an updated driver for the webcam, thanks Ivan

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Jakkookkaj

The vaio upgrade tool for windows 8 lite is not working for me. It downloads a load of stuff for like an hour and then it shuts down with this error:

The weirdest thing is that since this installation failed i get this error EVERY time i start windows.
Model svs1511l3es clean windows 8 installation.

Vaio update not working brightness controls not working "unknown device" in device manager.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
sich

Its a Sony, guys!

I have the same problems with win 8 as most of you: not-detected bluetooth, non-working brightness controls, non-working hybrid graphics, not to say that all sony software downloaded for my laptop model and for win 8 actually doesnt even start. Starting from my childhood I've been treating Sony as a high-quality device manufacturer. Now I'm completely dissapointed. Besides the fact that Sony laptop body is quite insecure, the software is not even able to show its main window on the OS under which 99% of win7 programs work without problems! And this is after almost 1 year of win 8 availability for developers and even more for device manufacturers!

Please use plain text.
PeterT

Jakkookkaj,

Can you post a screen shot of the error message? Is it the battery error? If so then launch the task manager and go to startup then uncheck ISB Utility.

VAIO Update requires the VAIO Location utility to be installed. That utility will not be present if you perform a clean installation. I recommend you go to the Win7 page to download it. VAIO Update require this tool to determine your region.

Where did you purchase your VAIO PC? svs1511l3es model doesn't appear to be a US model.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
PeterT

sich,

Can you provide us your model?

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.