Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
kaans
Accepted Solution

battery wont charge

[ Edited ]

sony vaio T series ultrabook 80% avaliable (plugged in, not charging)

i just buy vaio T series. battery charge until 80%, after than it doesnt charge. it shows "plugged in, not charging"

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
ShaneL

Re: battery wont charge

[ Edited ]

That is by design to help extend the life of the battery.  Only charging the battery to 80% will help preserve the overall life expectancy of the batttery.  If you continually charge to 100% it decreases the overall life of the battery.  Here are the steps to change the settings.  By the way, if this resolves your issue, please click the accept as solution button.

The battery only charges up to 50% or 80%.
Solution

This issue will occur if the Battery Care Function utility, which is disabled by default, has been enabled. This utility limits the amount the battery will be charged. Follow this procedure to disable or reconfigure the Battery Care Function utility settings.

1. Click the Start button, click All Programs , and then click VAIO Central or VAIO Control Center .

NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue .

2. In the VAIO Central or VAIO Control Center window, click the List tab.
  3. On the List tab, double click Battery Care Function .
  4. In the Battery Care Function window, to disable the Battery Care Function utility, click to clear the check mark from the box next to Enable Battery Care Function .
  5. To leave the Battery Care Function utility enabled but change the configuration settings, in the Battery Care Function Settings section, click to select the desired setting.

NOTES:

• There are three different options in the Battery Care Function Settings section:
      • Battery Care Function - The battery charge level will be about 80% of a fully charged battery, however, this mode prevents battery degradation and is more effective if you usually use the computer with battery power.
      • Super Battery Care Function - The battery charge level will be about 50% of a fully charged battery, however, this mode prevents battery degradation and is more effective if you usually use the computer with the AC adapter.
      • The settings for Battery Care Function on each battery - This selection gives you the ability to customize the battery settings. If this option is selected, the battery charge level can be set to either 100%, 80% or 50% by clicking the down arrow and selecting the desired charge level.
    • When the Battery Care Function utility is enabled and configured to any setting other than 100%, depending on the selection made, the battery will only charge up to the 80% or 50% charge level.

6. Once all desired configuration changes have been made, click the OK button.
  7. In the VAIO Central or VAIO Control Center window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
  8. Restart the computer.
Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
ShaneL

Update to previous post.  

FYI....the solution I proviided says to click the start button.  For Windows 8 users, Just type VAIO and the Control Center Option should appear.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
SteveJ

The battery will only charges up to 80% if the Battery Care Function utility, which is disabled by default, has been enabled. To help extend the useful life of the battery, this utility limits the amount the battery will be charged. Follow these steps to disable or reconfigure the Battery Care Function utility settings In windows 8.

1. Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Searchcharm.

Search Charm

NOTE:  The Windows Logo + W key combination will also take you to the Search screen.

2. In the Search screen, click the Settings category, and in the Search field, type VAIO Control Center and then press the Enterkey.
  3. In the VAIO Control Center window, click the Battery and Powertab.
  4. On the Battery and Power tab, in the Battery section, click the Detailsbutton.

Battery Details

5. In the Battery screen, click the Off/On button to either enable (Turn On) or disable (Turn Off) the Battery Care Functionutility.

Battery Care Function

NOTES:

• Choosing to turn On the Battery Care Functionutility will limit the battery to charging to either 50% or 80% of total capacity. The utility does this in order to help reduce degradation of the battery and increase the number of recharge cycles, thereby lengthening the usefully life span of the battery.
    • When the Battery Care Functionutility is enabled and configured to any setting other than 100%, depending on the selection made, the battery will only charge up to the 80% or 50% charge level.
    • If you want the battery to charge up to the 100% charge level, click the Off/On button to disable (Turn Off) the Battery Care Functionutility.
    • To leave the Battery Care Function utility enabled but change the configuration settings, in the Battery Care Function Settings section, click to select either Battery Care Function (80%) or Battery Care Function (50%).
  6. In the VAIO Control Center window, once all desired configuration changes have been made, in the upper-right corner, click the X button to close the window.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an “Accepted Solution”.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
rlaughton

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that tip about how to get into the Vaio Control Centre!

I bought a newbattery for my Vaio (VGN-CR220E - bought in Canada even though it says only available in USA - so I must use the USA help site). Everything worked fine when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and then I foolishly accepted the upgrade to Windows 8 and have recently gone to Windows 8.1 and that is when the battery charge function seems to have stopped.

I read a post about reactivating the BATTERY CHECKUP (esupport.sony.com) setup program but that made it worse as the laptop kept going into hibernation mode. I had to be "fast fingered" to deactivate that in the msconfig settings!

I am convinced that the change in the function of the battery charging is directly related to the installation of Windows 8.1 as it never had a problem prior to that time. I would really appreciate it if anyone has had this problem and found a solution, as if the power goes out the computer goes down. That is the primary reason for the battery in my laptop as I am almost always plugged in.

The message I get on the little battery image in my toolbar is "10% available (plugged in, charging" but nothing is happening.

There was another answer below this topic and it may be working. See here:

http://atechiediary.blogspot.in/2013/07/solution-sony-vaio-battery-not-charging.html

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
genespan

The most simple option to reset to 100% charging, especially if you don't have the battery care function installed anymore is to:  Remove the battery for at least 10 seconds with the computer off and the charger NOT plugged in.  Restart the computer and it should charge to 100% again.

Please use plain text.