Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
Rajesh
Accepted Solution

c drive not accessible after windows 8 refresh

My computer wouldn't boot up so I decided to refresh it.

After I refreshed it, at first the c drive wasn't accessible, (I am on a admin account) but I had to take ownership which presented lot's of "error, access denied" dialogs, but I was now able to access my c drive.

And now, windows store won't run and all my default apps are gone. I am on a admin account

I tried to create a new user, but i couldn't since I was not able to open system settings. It opens, and the disappears, just like the store!

): All my files are still accessible, but I cannot use any metro apps or whatever.

I do not want to do a system restore...
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: c drive not accessible after windows 8 refresh

[ Edited ]

Hi Rajesh,

I suggest you to perform a complete system recovery to troubleshoot the issue. Follow all the steps mentioned here: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1031321

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
rayelyndon

hi Miguael!

I'm already on step number 12 and then there's a dialogue message that poped-out, it says

Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: X:\windows\sysmtem32\mshta.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

what should I do? 

Thank you in advance!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

[ Edited ]

Hello Raye.

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults once following the steps mentioned here:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37556

Now, try performing the system recovery. If the issue persists, contact Sony Telephone Assistance Team here for further troubleshooting steps: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-contacts.pl?mdltype_id=24

Note: It is required to take backup of all the data before performing the system recovery, as it erases everything from the computer.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
pequezil

hola tengo el mismo problema de que mi unidad (c is not accesible) ya ingrese al linkpara revisar los pasos y me dice que ya no existe esa pagina , me super urge saber que hacer plis ya busque muchas respúestas y esta me parecio la mas interesante mas sin embargo no existe ya ese link

quiero desisntalar algunos programas y tampoco me deja

ya estoy con usuario administrador y tampoco me deja

ya busque la dichosa solucion de ir a mi pc , herrramienta , opcion de carpeta y hasta ahi llego xq la opcion de carpeta no puedo acceder

help me!! :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
simonmex

None of these links work :smileysurprised:(
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
simonmex

Link doesnt work
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
simonmex

Your links do not work
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Marcus1983

Hi,

If I am not mistaken your problem is a result of a unsuccessful refresh in Windows 8. And this is a bit long process. Its best to contact 888-476-6972 and let them know that you have a unsuccessful refresh. 

I am sure that they will be able to assist you over the phone. :smileyhappy: you need to have your laptop of course and also connected to the internet. :smileyhappy: 

Regards,

Marcus

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
simonmex

Cheers man, will have a go at that, by any chance do you know:

When a Windows 8 system refresh is unsuccessful and the c drive is locked, would it naturally show in properties as having 100% free disc space? I can't access mine like above and looks like I lost all my files (except desktop), no back up as I was in the middle of preparing a back up when it crashed.

When I examine the c drive (windows button + r) It does look like that a recovery folder was created at the date and time of the refresh, but obviously I can't access it due to the situation on access.

Clearly needs a system reset now, the big Q is, can I restore my files on the c drive and get them off before anyone tinkers with it?

Any feedback, is greatly appreciated,

Si :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.