Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Tuning Up
ebon
Accepted Solution

windows 8 product key

Hi,

recently I bought a new laptop (Sony Vaio E15...) with preinstalled Windows 8, which is licensed to this particular laptop. I expected there will be a sticker with windows product key on the bottom of the laptop, but there isn't one.

Is there any way to acquire it, as I would like to have it in case I need to do a clean Windows 8 installation? Any way not involving making recovery discs, just to be able to use the same key that was used for the current installation with the software downloaded from microsoft?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
PJMaster

Re: windows 8 product key

I have the new Sony Vaio Duo 11. The Windows 8 product key on new machines is now embedded within the machine, I believe using the Secure Boot technology from Microsoft. When performing a clean installation of Windows 8, the installer won't even ask you for a product key and will automatically get it from your system. Surprisingly simple, yet confusing to many. I did a clean install on mine and never got asked for the product key. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ebon

Thank you very much for your explanation. If that's the case, my problems are nonexistent :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Centrant

According to MS support this is not true.

They told me that there are cases where you need your product key and that that key MUST be on the bottom of the laptop.

They (2 reps) were very insistent upon this and would not help me unless I got my product key (which I can't).

Please use plain text.
RyanC

PJMaster is correct.  The Windows 8 product key is embedded in the motherboard and is not required to install Windows 8 onto the VAIO PCs that come with Windows 8 out of the factory.  Because of this, labels/stickers with the product key do not need to be on the bottom of the PC.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Centrant

I have a two month old Sony VAIO SVE17125CDB that required a factory reset.  Upon being reset it required that I activate it by calling Microsoft. 

The activation rep, the first MS support rep, and the higher level MS support rep all said that - even for an OEM copy of Windows 8 - that I needed the product key in order to activate Windows 8 under some circumstances (e.g. I had upgraded my BIOS).

They understood that I had a new Sony laptop with an OEM copy of Windows.  They even had me contact Sony support while they waited on the phone and when the Sony rep said what you have said they insisted that the Sony rep was wrong.

So my laptop now has a fresh Windows 8 (restored from the HD using the normal procedure) that is not activated, so it is unusable.

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Hi Centrant,

Sorry for your difficulties.  Lets move discussion of your issue here.

Please use plain text.