Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

XDCAM - Avid

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 2 (3,312 Views)

How to deal with discontinuous Timecode / TC Breaks?

I got a lot of XDCAM discs with clips containing discontinuous timecode / TC breaks. The breaks are shown in the Content Browser Previw Window. At each break point an essence mark exists.

When importing or AMA-linking the discs / clips to Avid Media Composer only the start tc of each clip is correct. The essence marks are imported as markers, but the timecode doesn't break at this point in Media Composer.

I need to sync two cameras. Is there any way to get the right (discontinuous TC) into Avid? Or any way to export Subclips with the right (discontinuous TC) from clip browser to Avid? I even found no way to create a sub clip within content browser.

Highlighted
Message 2 of 2 (3,275 Views)

Re: How to deal with discontinuous Timecode / TC Breaks?

if you have TC breaks with REC Start markers at each one the XDCAM was probably in Continuous Clip mode (where record starts append one growing file instead of creating new ones) with the TC generator set to Time Of Day. The way Avid and most NLEs read time code is that they look at the start time code and the # of frames and then calculate the TC for the clip. They do not parse the whole clip, which means that a clip with discontinuous TC will often platy right through without the breaks. You would have to modify the source TC of these clips in Media Composer or use the camera/deck to re-record the SDI stream and create new TC.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook
Users Online