Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

XDCAM - Cameras

SOS Tuning Up
Tuning Up
SOS

Sony PMW 300

Good morning

I've just completed a shoot using the Sony PMW 200. A  really good camera.  I am considering purchasing the PMW 300 which understand will be available in Oct/ Nov 2013.

I have a question. Will this camera be able to record in 4.2.2 @ 50mbps using SD cards - either in the SD port or using SxS card adaptors in the SxS port? I've looked at several sources online and the impression I get - its not entirely clear - that SD cards in the PMW 300 will only give you a maximum of 35mbps. If anyone can clarify this for me I would much appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
CliveC

Re: Sony PMW 300

I think that the issue is one of format (rather than just a speed issue).

For 35Mb/s 420 (EX format), the cards are formated FAT32, which SDHC cards are quite happy with.

However, 50Mb/s HD422, uses UDF format which I think is the real issue.

Cheers,

Clive

Please use plain text.
Cyndi

Good morning SOS,

The MS and SD media supports UDF and 50Mbps, HD422 recording is not possible. However, XQD cards support both UDF and FAT formats and can be used with the PMW300K1 with an appropriate adapter. I hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
CliveC

"The MS and SD media supports UDF and 50Mbps, HD422 recording is not possible."

This statement is rather confusing / contradictory.

If SD media supports UDF and 50Mbps, then why is HD422 recording not possible?

It was my assumption (perhaps incorrect) that the reason HD422 recording was not possible was because UDF was not supported by SD Media.

If UDF is supported, then please explain why is HD422 recording not possible?

Regards,

Clive

Please use plain text.
Cyndi

Hi Clive,

Sorry for the confusion. What I should have said was that 50Mbps HD422 recording is not supported with the SD card.

Thank you for your questions & comments!

Cyndi

Please use plain text.