Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

XDCAM - Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 6 (6,623 Views)

Why HXR-MC2500 won't connect to computer USB?

Why HXR-MC2500 won't connect to computer USB? Sony site has generic useless troubleshooting for this model (yes, Sony, of course all software updated and ac power supplies in use and computer/camera all powered down and then restarted, and different USB port selected and etc., PC works with other USB devices fine, etc. etc.). What's worse, their MC2500 support search funnels me into their "Pro" site where there is zero support other than a PDF of the manual and sales page for the camera!

Am trying to transfer AVCHD files stored on the internal memory, which are video of type (MTS), filmed in 30fps with shotgun mic audio input. The goal would unlikely be different even if I used an external memory card, since it is the import of files which is the fail.

Biggest clue why doesn't work and that it may be because of Sony's design of this camera: The USB adapter which comes with camera oddly has a USB-A female, which implied to me the camera wants to behave as if a computer rather than a device. Sure enough, when I direct connected a usb hard drive, the camera synchronized immediately and began copying files to the external hard drive without me ever having to do anything. But the audio does not work on the files which were stored this way, and there's mostly no date information on the files either.

Even if the audio had worked on these files in the external drive, this is not what I need, because the Sony manual says you need to use their software (i.e. Playmemories Home, PMH) to import these type of files, and that the camera has to first be recognized by the computer before the files can be properly imported. Why? Have searched and searched other web sites and some users familiar with MTS files claim you have to retain the complete file directory structure if you want the complete data (unlike MPEG files which are all self-contained video/audio together), or there may be something PMH does to rename and repackage the MTS files when storing on the PC.

The Internet is chock full of users with other AVCHD file questions and endless third-party software offered for working with these files, though no one else in the forums seems to be using this model camera. I'm very hesitant to download a no-name "perfect software for MTS" and get a trojan horse. Since Sony relies so heavily on its Playmemories Home, have also searched that part of site for hours and hours but info is generally presented under assumption camera was readily recognized by the PC.

Thanks for anyone who's successfully accomplished MC2500-PC file imports.

AW

Rookie
Message 2 of 6 (5,909 Views)

Re: Why HXR-MC2500 won't connect to computer USB?

Did you find anything? I am facing the same problem.

Hours spent with no luck connecting my HXR-MC2500 to my iMAC or Windows (parallels) 

Rookie
Message 3 of 6 (5,719 Views)

I CANNOT GET THE VIDEO FILES FROM THE HXR-MC2500 AND I NEED THE FILES IMMEDIATELY. WHAT DO I DO.

Rookie
Message 4 of 6 (5,719 Views)

I NEED TO TRANSFER MY VIDEO FILES FROM THE HXR-MC2500 IMMEDIATELY. WHAT DO I DO? HELP PLEASE.

Rookie
Message 5 of 6 (5,683 Views)

I've been having the same problem getting my videos on the internal hard drive to my pc. I tried a lot of things, but I finally found something that works. I used the included USB-A female cable, and plugged in a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 128GB USB Flash drive. This was immediately recognized by the camera and I was able to transfer all the videos. 

This of course is not ideal SONY, since I should be able to plug in my camera to my pc and have the videos transfered directly. But, this extra step isn't so bad, but a little time consuming. 

Hope this helps others out there. I spent hours looking online for answers and could not find any (SONY, your help on this issue was non existent!) I hope I saved some others out there some headaches and sleepless nights!

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 6 (3,579 Views)

Hi : I do not understand your comment " plugged in a USB flash drive". Did you  connect the camera to the Flash Drive and if so how? I am having a ****** of a time offloading my Videos from the Camera. Wish I could wring someone's neck at Sony. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook