Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 6 (5,564 Views)
Accepted Solution

XDCAM audio levels, Content Browser and NLEs

[ Edited ]

So, I recently copied some footage from my F-800 for a client to view using Content Browser.  They were in a panic because the audio was "barely audible"

I checked it myself, and sure enough the audio levels were really low.  Gave it a listen in XDCAM Transfer and same thing.  I have a clamshell XDCAM-HD deck so I checked the original disk on that - levels are normal, voice is around -20.

I tried importing the clips into both FCP X and PremierePro CC, and in both of those programs the imported files seemed to be closer to -40 than -20.

Anyone have any ideas on what my problem may be?

I should add that I'm running various flavours of OSX including Mavericks... the OS doesn't seem to make much difference.

Message 2 of 6 (5,523 Views)

Re: XDCAM audio levels, Content Browser and NLEs

[ Edited ]

there are ways to filter out audio channels on import but the levels should not be changing. are you sure you aren't boosting the levels on the deck during playback on the hardware? the PDW should be set to preset so that you accurately hear what was recorded.

Expert
Message 3 of 6 (5,519 Views)

Yep, everything in presets on the deck and I'm looking at the meters and not relying on my ears Smiley Happy

I know that generally speaking computershave audio all the way up to 0, as opposed to peaking at -20 or -16 as we are used to in broadcast...  so I'm used to having to crank the computer audio output to maxiumum to be able to hear location recordings.  But this seems to be even worse than I'm used to.

If I do time-code burns in ProxyMill I also get complaints from clients that the sound is really quiet - and that's with audio that does seem to import with proper -20 levels .... How do other people deal with this??  Am I missing some secret audio import setting somewhere??

Expert
Message 4 of 6 (5,480 Views)

I have had to record audio +10dB hot in my PDW-700 for years... software seems to bring it in lower.

Expert
Message 5 of 6 (5,449 Views)

ggriswold wrote:

I have had to record audio +10dB hot in my PDW-700 for years... software seems to bring it in lower.

So maybe I'm not just seeing things here.  But I've never, ever had a comoplaint from a post facility about low audio levels..... which is what made me think I must be missing something in the software.

Message 6 of 6 (5,447 Views)

the software should not be touching the audio levels. if you record tone at -20 then take the .mxf or rewrapped .mov into Avid you should see that the audio is still at -20.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook