Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Xperia Tablet

Groovin'
SolidState
Accepted Solution

Incompatible sony mp4 video formats

I got the the Sony tablet S with the intention of using it as a media controller. I have all my music, pictures and videos are stored on a standalone DLNA media server. Over the past 3 years I have been using Sony's DCS-WX1, DCS-WX5 and DCS-HX9V camers to make MP4 videos. The video play fine on my Sony XBR-HX909 TV and playstations 3. The thing that kills me the most of about the Sony tablet S is it will not play any of the video.

Why is the sony tablet s not compatible with the video formats produced by sony's own products? I have hundreds of hours of videos made by sony camers and this sony tablet will not play them. WTF.

To make matters worst, I can't even throw the videos to the TV. If the Sony Tablet S can't play the video then the rendering device shouldn't be able to play it. Where is the logic in that?

Will there be an update to allow the Tablet S play MP4 video produced by Sony camera products? Or at the very least be able to throw the video to a rendering device that can play the video.

Converting my videos is out of the question. There are too many files and why should I convert then just because of the limitation of the Sony Tablet S. Also, my iPhone and my wife's iPad can play the video fine using a DLNA client application. I would be more inclined to try to return this Sony Tablet S or put it on ebay and just get an iPad if something doesn't happen soon to fix this problem.

thanks sony
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Thirdrawn

Re: Incompatible sony mp4 video formats

+1

Similar question. I love that I can store my music in one location and play it in another location either on the Tablet S or on another device controlled by the Tablet S. I want to do the same with my videos. For example, my Tablet S can see the recordings on my DVR but it won't play them. What a tease.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
NotAStatusSymbo

Have you tried using the app VitalPlayer?
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
SolidState

Just tried it still can't play the MP4 videos crated with sony's digital cameras. Deleting now.

Not sure why I have to install or pay for an app just to play videos crated by sony cameras and will not play on a sony product. This there some limitation with this tablet?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
NotAStatusSymbo

Ya. I bought this Sony tablet because I didn't want to be limited by Apple. But I agree with you. I don't own a Sony camera so I can't test what you're trying to do. I know it plays mp4 files just fine, though. I downloaded VitalPlayer so I could watch avi videos and it plays them nicely but when I try to play an avi video off my DLNA server, it won't play on the tablet. It says "This device cannot play this content" even though I know it can. Hopefully the next ICS OS coming soon will change things?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
NotAStatusSymbo

Oh, and one more thing. I found this thread and it may help us. I haven't tried this stuff yet but it seems to be worth reading.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/son ... -wm12.html
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
NotAStatusSymbo

OK, I tried the DLNA Media server called TVersity on my PC. I'm now running the apps MX Video Player (with the codec it requires, another download) and Softmedia Player on the tablet. So far I am able to stream anything in DLNA. It's amazing ! :smileyvery-happy:

I hope it works for you and your Sony MP4 files that you can't get to run.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Dezmo

I can see various videos (via DLNA) on my PC. However the AVI and MPG have errors (only MP4 seem ok). I downloaded MX Video Player that supposedly plays AVI, etc. but can I configure that to be used when connecting to a PC via DLNA?

Or am I restricted to just playing local video files?
Please use plain text.