Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (1,591 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot get ARC to output in digital surround

I have a XBR-55X850C.

I have a cable box and Apple TV connected to the tv via HDMI, and have the HDMI4/ARC connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-81 surround sound av receiver.  

I also subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All access through the Android TV apps.

Netflix plays a Dolby Digital signal out to my receiver. Nothing else does.  

Amazon Video, CBS All Access, and my connected Cable box and AppleTV all output “stereo” sound to my receiver via ARC HDMI cable (no Dolby Digital)

How do I troubleshoot this?

Expert
Message 2 of 7 (1,583 Views)

Re: Cannot get ARC to output in digital surround

Be sure your settings/sound/digital audio out is set to "auto 1" or "auto 2".

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 7 (1,571 Views)

Thanks, but unfortunately those setting had no impact.

Expert
Message 4 of 7 (1,562 Views)

Also make sure the things with HDMI inputs to the TV are set to send dolby digital 5.1.  Some things can send LPCM in multi-channel and would work if their HDMI is plugged directly into the receiver, but only 2 channels of PCM/LPCM can be carried over the ARC return channel from the TV.  Multichannel surround must be compressed as dolby digital 5.1.  Apps may each have their own settings as to whether they pass multichannel through or not.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 7 (1,505 Views)

Not sure if would work for you but I have a Sony 43X800D and Vizio Soundbar audio system (HDMI-ARC).  Everything before the firmware update was working fine but after updating to the latest firmware update my HDMI-ARC wouldn't have any sound nor would the TV recognize the soundbar that was working perfectly fine before.  Looked around the net for about an hour and found that doing a factory reset of my TV, Sounbar along with a hard reset (unplugged cords for like 5 mins) my stuff worked again.  Hope that helps.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 7 (1,432 Views)

Thanks.. this turned out to be the issue, both my Apple TV and cable box were set to output hdmi/audio on a setting other than Dolby 5.1.  Now seem to have a fully functional system!!

PJS Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 7 (729 Views)

Good work, lesmikesell. You had the solution right.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook